Chocolate Pots de Crème with whipped Cream and berries
-2 cups whipping cream
-1/2 cup whole milk
-1 whole Tahitian Vanilla Bean
-5 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped
-6 large egg yolks
-1/3 cup sugar
1) Preheat oven to 325°F.
2) Split Vanilla bean with a pairing knife, and scrape the soft insides out with the sharp edge of the knife. Add the contents of the bean, as well as the shell into a saucepan with milk and cream.
3) Bring cream and milk just to simmer in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat. Strain out the shell of the vanilla bean.
4) Add chocolate; whisk until melted and smooth.
5) In a separate large bowl, whisk yolks and sugar until pale.
6) Temper the egg mixture with the chocolate by gradually whisking in hot chocolate mixture. Do this just a little at a time to ensure that you don’t scramble the eggs. If you see any egg bits, then strain the mixture through a fine sieve into another bowl.
7) Let the custard mixture cool, about 10 minutes, gently skimming any foam from surface.
8) Divide custard mixture among six 3/4-cup custard cups or soufflé dishes. Try to make sure that there are no bubbles or foam on the surface.
9) Cover each with foil. Place cups in large baking pan. Add enough hot water to pan to come halfway up sides of cups. Bake until custards are set but centers still move slightly when gently shaken, about 55 minutes.
10) Remove from water, and carefully remove the foil. Chill the custards until cold, about 3 hours. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and keep chilled.)
11) Serve in the cups they were baked in, with fresh unsweetened whipped cream and fresh berries.