This is a hot and hearty soup that is healthy, easy and delicious.
Sausage and Lentil Soup
-2 tablespoons olive oil
-2-1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped (about 1 medium)
-2 cups celery, chopped
-2 cups carrot, peeled and chopped
-12 oz spicy Italian sausage, out of its casing
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-8 cups chicken broth
-2 cups dried lentils, (large, whole, green lentils)
-2 sprigs fresh thyme
-Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
1) Add the olive oil to a heavy pot over medium-high heat.
2) Add the sausage, and allow to cook for about 2 minutes.
3) Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic to the pot. Stir the vegetables and sausage, cooking them for about 10 minutes, or until everything is tender.
4) Add the chicken broth, lentils, thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are tender. This should take about 45 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
5) Let the soup cool slightly. Transfer half of the soup to the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth.
6) Return the pureed soup back to the pot, and thin the soup if desired with extra broth or water. Season the soup to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
7) Sprinkle with chives and serve hot.