I absolutely love tomato soup. In fact one of my favorite meals of all time is tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. This is a slight twist on the classic tomato soup, and was inspired by the same sweet yellow tomatoes I used for that Quick Tomato Sauce a few weeks ago. This soup is so great served hot, but can also be served chilled with some crème fraiche.
I have paired it below with a grilled garlic toast, but as a full meal, I loved it with my Summer Grilled Cheese recipe too (July 30th).
Golden Tomato Soup:
-4lbs of golden heirloom tomato
-½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
-1 sweet yellow onion, (such as Walla Walla), chopped
-6 large garlic cloves, minced
-4 cups vegetable broth
-Kosher salt and black pepper
1) Heat a large, heavy pot over medium heat. Add the ½ cup of olive oil, and the onions.
2) Sprinkle the onions with kosher slat, and let them sweat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
3) Add the minced garlic. Make sure that the onions and garlic are not browning.
4) Quarter and stem the tomatoes. Add the chunks of tomatoes to the onions and garlic, and cover the pot with a lid.
5) Let the tomatoes gently cook until they start to break down, about 15 minutes.
6) Once the tomatoes are really soft, and releasing all of their juices, add the broth. Turn the heat to low, and let the soup cook covered for about 20 minutes.
7) Remove the pot from the heat, and let the soup cool slightly. Then, either using a stick blender, or blending in batches, puree the soup until very smooth.
8) Pour back into the pot, and season with salt and pepper.
9) Gently warm to serve, and garnish with minced chives and a garlic toast.
Grilled Garlic Toast:
-1 loaf of rustic baguette
-2 cloves garlic
1) Heat a grill pan to medium heat. Slice the Bread into ¼” thick slices on the bias.
2) Brush the bread with olive oil on both sides, and sprinkle with kosher salt. Grill the bread on each side until crunchy and the bread has golden grill marks on the bread.
3) Take the garlic and rub the raw clove on the grilled toast. The rough crust on the bread will soften the garlic and it will leave a light coating of flavor on the toasts.
4) Serve these alongside the Golden Tomato Soup.