I truly think these biscuits are so incredibly good. They have that warm salty, buttery comfort with that zing from the buttermilk. After many, many failed recipes- this was a serious winner in my household
Buttermilk Biscuits, makes 8 biscuits
-1/4 cup shortening
-1/4 cup cold butter
-2/3 cup buttermilk
-2 cups AP flour
-1 tsp salt
-4 tsp baking powder
-1 Tbs sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 450 degrees, and prepare a small sheet pan by lightly spraying it with non-stick baking spray.
2) In a small bowl beat the buttermilk and egg together with a fork.
3) In a medium bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients, and then cut in the butter and shortening with a pastry cutter or two forks.
4) When the flour and fat creates a coarse, crumb like texture add the buttermilk–egg mixture. Stir until the flour is just moist.
5) Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface, and gently knead the dough until it is soft and somewhat smooth, about 15 times.
6) Roll out the dough until it is about 1″ thick. Cut the biscuits with a round cutter or juice glass and place on the baking sheet.
7) Bake the biscuits for 8-10 minutes or until just golden. Serve hot.