Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies

Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownies

My favorite dessert combination is peanut butter and chocolate- like my favorite drugstore candy is a Reese’s Peanut butter cup hands down!

This is a very indulgent, rich and beautiful version of that old fashioned combo.

When I saw the cover of Bon Appetite this month, a stack of brownies piled high, I was totally inspired.

The recipe I created is really a hybrid brownie due to its lack of much flour, and has more of a fudge texture. It is really dense and moist and very chocolaty.

I subbed out walnuts or pecans for lightly salted peanuts, but it was still not enough! So after the wonderful success of the (mint chocolate brownie), I decided that I would go ahead and create a layered brownie. First came a sweetened peanut butter layer, and then it is topped with a layer of thick and creamy chocolate ganache.

Yes, then that was enough ☺

They are incredibly decadent and delicious dessert, (not to mention visually striking!)- enjoy!

By the way- how great was the sunrise this morning?!

Brownies, makes 12
1 ¼ sticks of butter, cut into small pieces
1 ¼ cups sugar
¾ cup cocoa powder
2 tsp water
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup plus 1 TBS AP flour
1 cup lightly salted peanuts

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Prepare an 8×8” pan with tin foil (two sheets creating an x with a 2 inch overlap of foil) and then spray the foil with cooking spray.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter until no longer foaming and the butter has browned, about 5 minutes.

While you are waiting for the butter to brown, combine the sugar, cocoa, water, vanilla and salt in the bowl of a mixer.

Add the hot butter and scrape all of the browned bits into the bowl of the mixer and then whip to combine.

With the mixer on medium, add the eggs one at a time.

Then add the flour to combine.

Add the peanuts and briefly mix in.

Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and smooth with a dampened spatula.

Bake 25 minutes and remove from oven. Let cool.

When they have cooled enough to handle the pan, place it in the freezer at least 20 minutes.

Peanut Butter Layer
1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
¼ cup peanut butter
3 Tbs milk

Whip together with a mixer until creamy.

Spread the peanut butter mixture evenly over the brownies. Dampen the spatula to get a smooth finish.

When there is an even layer of peanut butter, put it back in the freezer, at least 20 minutes.

Ganache
2 cups dark chocolate pieces
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla

In a small sauce pan, heat the milk and vanilla until almost boiling.

Meanwhile, place the chocolate pieces in a medium heatproof bowl.

Dump the hot milk over the chocolate and leave for about 5 minutes.

When you have let the chocolate and milk sit and they look melted, whisk vigorously with a metal whisk until thick and glossy.

Let the ganache cool for a bit.

Spread the ganache evenly over the peanut butter layer. Place in the freezer for about an hour.

Pull the brownies out of the pan (by the foil overlaps). Place the block of frozen brownies on a cutting board. Trim the edged and then slice with a sharp knife into bars.

Serve and enjoy!

Heather, you have completely topped yourself! These are simply amazing.

2. Wenderly says:

These look so decadent and divine! Love the blue cake plate stand! Looks like blue milk glass? It’s fabulous!

3. Becky says:

Wow these look amazing, Heather. I love your recipe for the peanut butter layer especially. These really are creative and yummy to look at!!

4. Muriel says:

Wow these look so rich and yummy! I have to agree with Becky that the peanut butter layer sounds amazing!

5. Is it weird that I want to build a house with these gorgeous little chocolate bricks? Because I so do. Looks divine!

6. Alicia says:

those looks perfectly delicious!! Who wouldn’t like chocolate, peanut butter and more chocolate! Yum!!

7. Phoebe says:

How much cocoa powder do you use? 3/4 of what? 1tbsp maybe? I shall try it very soon! Cheers

8. Sorry for the typo! it was 3/4 CUP cocoa!

9. Melissa says:

This looks great! I love any dessert with layers.

10. Anna says:

These look amazing! I need them in my belly now.

11. Memoria says:

I actually think your brownies look better than the ones on the cover of Bon Appètit! Wow. I almost ran into the kitchen to make these but then remembered that I had to work and also that I didn’t have any chocolate chips :( .

12. Those are the most beautiful little desserts I’ve ever seen! They look sinful :)

13. Heather, these are beautiful! Are you sure you didn’t cut them with a laser? ;) I will for sure try them!

14. This looks so good….i’m amazed :) )))

15. maggie says:

These look amazing! I have that magazine too and I’ve been wanting to try making those brownies. Now I want to make them with your additions! If only my boyfriend liked the PB and chocolate combo! if I make them I’ll end up eating these all by myself!

16. outoftheoven says:

Wow! These look incredible! I am going to try and make a batch for my husband’s birthday on Saturday. I’m assuming since they are frozen they are fine to be made ahead a day or two and kept in the freezer until ready to eat? I can’t wait to try them

17. Doug S says:

So I made these brownies the other day. First of all, they were extremely tasty, so kudos for that. However, I had a lot of trouble getting that ganache layer to set up – in fact, it never did, even after half a day in the freezer. I’ve generally seen ganache made with heavy cream, not milk, so I might try that the next time around. Nevertheless, it’s a great recipe!

• Very strange. I actually went back and looked at the recipe carefully. I usually use heavy cream as well. The day I made those, I was out and used the whole milk, (as I have for ganache many times) and it was fine. I didn’t even think about it, because it turned out nicely. However, I would certainly recommend using whole milk. Another can’t miss ganache recipe is the one I used in Chocolate Raspberry Tart. It is much thicker and stiffer.

18. Rachel Davidson says:

Heather- do you know if these would ship well???

• I think if they had a piece of wax or parchment paper between them, they would be fine. But I’m not sure where they are being shipped! Beware these hot summer months- you could get a puddle of chocolate!

19. Seph says:

hi! your recipe is AMAZING!! i really love the look and i really do think that it will taste delicious. But, can i ask, for the brownies…325 Celsius or Fahrenheit??

20. Nona says:

I wonder if putting Reese’s pieces bites on top would be too much? I’m thinking, yum!

• it is never enough!!! I am a huge fan of more, more more!!!

21. Hi! I tried the recipe today. Not good results. Brownie came out ok. Peanut layer ok, except to get it to right thickness I had to add about nor more cup powdered sugar. The chocolate icing, never st up, even after freezing, still runny, and too much chocolate! Not sure what happened, strange. :(