Red Wine Caramelized Onions
I know what you are thinking- caramelized onions are so good- is there really any need to tamper with them? Well I did, and I’m glad- cause when you add wine to sweet and spicy red onions then add a bit of vinegar and sugar to top them off- you get something really special. Red wine caramelized onions. These are great on sandwiches and burgers, as well as in omelets or on pizza. I will often whip up a batch of these and just use them as a condiment. Delicious.
Red Wine Caramelized Onions, make about 1 cup.
1 large red onion
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1 cup red wine
1 Tbs red wine vinegar
1 Tbs sugar
Kosher salt to taste
1)Thinly slice a red onion (with the grain of the onion)
2) In a large sauté pan, add the butter and the olive oil and melt over medium heat.
3) Add the red onions and sprinkle with kosher salt.
4) Cook the onions until soft and the pan starts to dry out- about 5 minutes.
5) Add the wine to the dry pan, and scrape the browned bits up. Continue to cook on low heat another 15 minutes. Whenever the pan gets dry, add ¼ cup of water.
6) After the onions have been cooking about 20 minutes, add the vinegar and sugar and cook another 5 minutes. The pan should be dry.
7) Scrape all of the onions into a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.