Tomato Cheddar Soup
I had an insane amount of tomatoes this weekend. Yellow and orange tomatoes! Pia’s favorite soup is tomato lately. That is all she is ever asking for: “Tomato Soup! Tomato Soup!” So I just thought I would take all of the orange tomatoes and make her “Tomato Soup!” It is always accompanied by a grilled cheese sandwich (of course, cause the girl has good taste)
So I thought I would try to combine the tomato soup with the grilled cheese. Afterall, aren’t the best bites the ones where you dunk the crispy bread and gooey cheese into the tomato soup?
My solution was to add sharp cheddar cheese to the soup, and then sprinkle crispy, buttery croutons to the top. A sprinkle of fresh chives brings a dash of color and flavor! Enjoy!
Tomato Cheddar Soup, makes 10 cups
-½ cup butter
-½ yellow onion, rough chopped
-8 cups orange tomatoes, cut in half
-4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable)
-2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
-Kosher Salt to taste
-Croutons and chives to garnish
1) In a large heavy pot, melt the butter over medium heat
2) Add the yellow onion and sweat for about 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent.
3) Add the tomatoes and toss them with the butter and onions.
4) Let them steam for about 5 minutes.
5) Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
6) Put the lid on the soup and let everything simmer for about 20 minutes.
7) Puree the soup to smooth in a blender or with a hand blender.
8) Pour the soup back into a pot and simmer on low for about 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
9) Whisk in the cheddar cheese.
10) Season with Kosher Salt.
11) Garnish with croutons and fresh chives.