Do remember all those holiday parties growing up? The ones where there were bowls of chex party mix on every coffee table?
They still have a variety of that snack mix when I fly Alaskan Airlines. And it’s good. In a sooo salty that “my tongue burns for water and I wind up rolling off the airplane with boots unzipped because they will no longer zip over my fat calves” kind of way.
You know what I’m talking about? The salty snack mix, not the fat calves. I’m sure you do not have that problem.
Anyways. Back to the snack mix. I write this as I am flying to New York, where among other very fun and exciting things, I am going to tape another Good Morning America Health Segment. Obviously I won’t be talking about my swollen legs.
I will be talking about healthy food options for Holiday parties. This is one of the recipes that I am going to share: Homemade Party Snack Mix!
I wanted to make a snack mix that was a little sweet, a little hot, a little salty and a little sour all in one mouthful. Basically, I just started adding until it tasted right in my mouth. Lets just say I did a lot of snacking in preparation for this mix. But the result is really nice, and a bit addictive.
Plus you have an option that is lower in sodium, and packed with nutritious items like dried cranberries and marcona almonds.
Ok- my husband just leaned over and asked if I want some bloody mary mix. I do. I love salt. But I also want them to be able to find my eyes in their puffy sockets tomorrow. SO I will stay strong, refrain and chase these peanuts with some red wine instead….
Homemade Party Snack Mix, makes 16 cups
½ cup popcorn
¼ cup oil
3 Tbs sugar
2 tsp kosher salt
4 cups asian rice crackers
2 cups cranberries
1 cup marcona almonds
1 cup wasabi peas
1 Tbs olive oil
¼ cup sesame seeds
1) In a large pot, combine the popcorn and oil over medium heat. When it begins to simmer, put a lid on it and cook until the popcorn is all done popping.
2) Sprinkle the sugar and the salt over the popcorn and toss. Put the lid back on the pot and let it sit for a minute.
3) Empty the popcorn into a large bowl.
4) Add the asian rice crackers, cranberries, almonds and wasabi peas.
5) Toss everything together with 1 Tbs of olive oil.
6) Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the snack mix and toss well.