I know that this sounds weird. But it is a really wonderful, delicate and delicious combination. Not to mention beautiful. Oh, and healthy.
The beets are naturally sweet and they really compliment all of the gorgeous citrus fruit that is in peak season right now. I used oranges, blood oranges, ruby red grapefruit and white grapefruit. They are all far more sweet than sour this time of year, and the grapefruit with just a hint of bitterness at the end.
I finished the salad with a light little dressing made up of the citrus juice, a splash of champagne vinegar and a little bit of olive oil and some fresh baby mint leaves.
This would make a show stopping starter if you were having friends to dinner, or just a light and lovely lunch for yourself. Either way enjoy and then relish knowing that you just filled up on something so healthy!
If you want some more healthy snack ideas, watch this video of me preparing Healthy Snacks on the New Day Northwest Program this morning!
Beet and Citrus Salad, serves 6
-3 large golden beets
-1 blood orange
-1 ruby red grapefruit
-1 white grapefruit
-¼ cup grapefruit juice
-2 tsp olive oil
-1 Tbs of mint leaves (finely slice if they are large leaves)
-Kosher salt to taste
1) Prepare a medium pot with salted water.
2) Add the golden beets to the boiling water and cook for about 15 minutes or until fork tender. Drain the beets and let them cool.
3) Peel the beets and slice them very thinly.
4) While the beets are cooking, cut the top and bottom off of the citrus fruit and then cut the peel off of the sides.
5) Cut the segments out of the citrus fruit and reserve the segments.
6) On a large platter, lay out the beet rounds. Sprinkle them lightly with salt.
7) Then put the citrus segments over the beets.
8) In a small bowl add the citrus juice, the oil and the mint along with a sprinkle of salt.
Whisk the dressing together and spoon over the beets and citrus wedges.
9) Serve at room temperature or chilled!