If you missed it- there was some serious snow here in Seattle last week.
We were trapped in the house all week (except for the occasional trip outside to make snowangels!)
Go Coco Go!!!
The girls, Mason and I spent the whole week just in the kitchen and the den off the kitchen (as I have blocked off the whole rest of the house in the interest of saving my carpets.) The girls snuggled with the dog in the window seat and I did nothing but cook and bake, cook and bake. Then I ran out of flour and turned to deep frying.
At that point I knew that I crossed the line and waded into crazy territory.
By Thursday I had run through all of the flour, most of the sugar, the pasta, most of the protein and vegetables and all of the chocolate. I know. Kind of gross.
So I needed lunch for the kids and there wasn’t a lot to choose from, plus it needed to be fast. Luckily I had some chicken breast left and soba noodles, so I made this delicious, fast and fresh Chicken and Soba Noodle Soup.
The kids and I slurped up big bowls of these nutty noodles and sipped the (surprisingly!) rich broth full of fresh, bright basil and cilantro.
Chicken and Soba Noodle Soup, serves 6
-8 cups vegetable broth
-½ yellow onion, peeled and very thinly sliced against the grain
-1” piece of peeled ginger, sliced into ¼” rounds
-1 small bunch green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
-½ lb (boneless, skinless) chicken breast
-1 package Soba noodles (8.8 oz)
-2 cups hot water
-2 Tbs Salt
-2 Tbs soy sauce
-2 Tbs Hoisin Sauce
1) In a large pot, combine the vegetable broth, yellow onion, ginger and green onion and simmer about 10 minutes.
2) Add the chicken breast and gently simmer until cooked through about 15 minutes.
3) Take the chicken out and place it on a cutting board to cool, and then shred the chicken.
4) Add the Soba noodles to the broth and boil about 6 minutes.
5) Add 2 cups hot water the salt, Hoisin sauce and the soy and stir to combine.
6) Add the chicken back into the soup and add fresh basil leaves, cilantro.
7) Serve with more fresh herbs and spicy Siracha sauce.