Hello Beautiful Blueberries. Plentiful in the grocery stores, and calling my name, I just couldn’t resist falling off the healthy program wagon I have been on, and diving head first into a bubbling blueberry crostata. Wouldn’t you if this was staring back at you from the kitchen counter?
This is my favorite kind of recipe. Easy.
With no worries about if it looks right, or if you followed all of the instructions. Free formed and “rustic,” but perfect at the same time.
Blueberry Crostata serves 8
-18 oz blueberries
-1 heaping Tb flour
-1 heaping Tbs sugar
-½ tsp cinnamon
-2 Tbs butter
-1 recipe pie crust (plus ½ tsp nutmeg), chilled
-2 tsp sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a sheet pan with a silpat or a sheet of parchment paper.
2) Prepare one batch of Best Pie Crust, adding ½ tsp of nutmeg to the dough at the same time as the flour.
3) When you pull the dough disc from the refrigerator, place it between two sheets of wax paper. Roll it out into a large oval, about ¼” thick.
4) Peel the wax paper off one side of the dough. Gently lay it down on the prepared sheet pan and then peel off the other sheet of wax paper.
5) In a medium bowl, combine the blueberries, flour, sugar and cinnamon.
6) Pour the fruit and dry ingredients into the center of the dough oval.
7) Dot the top of the fruit with the butter
8) Gently pull the sides of the dough up and around the fruit to hold it all in.
and sprinkle the folded over edges of the dough with the 2 tsp of sugar.
9) Bake the crostata at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden and the fruit is bubbling.
10) Slice into wedges and serve hot or at room temperature.