Every once in a while, I will try to sneak some tofu into the family diet around here.
The operative word is SNEAK.
Like baking, I have found that deep fat frying has a similar affect on “healthy” items that my husband and children are not otherwise keen to ingest. I suppose that this does not come as a shock to anyone. Truthfully I would probably eat my sneakers if you deep-fried them. Especially if this Coconut Dipping Sauce was on the side.
And before you bring up the fact that tofu, once deep-fried is probably not healthy anymore, I will change the subject.
Coconut Dipping Sauce. Coconut, peanut butter, and tons of fragrant and delicious Asian flavors fill this fantastic sauce. I think it would be great for dipping grilled chicken in too- it’s a keeper.
In general, I thought this would be a fun summer appetizer- I served it at a gathering a couple weeks ago to rave reviews so I had to share it!
You just gently pat the tofu blocks dry (I made a double batch of the fried tofu because we eat a lot around here.)
Cut the tofu into cubes.
While waiting for your oil to come up to 375, puree the sauce ingredients in a blender.
Deep fry the tofu cubes, working in batches so the oil temperature doesn’t drop (this will make them soggy, not crispy!)
Serve the hot, crispy tofu with the dipping sauce.
Recipe: Crispy Tofu with Coconut Dipping Sauce
- -1 lb tofu
- -vegetable oil for frying
- -Kosher salt
- Coconut Dipping Sauce, makes 1 cup
- -1 red chili, minced
- -2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- -2 Tbs ginger, finely minced or grated
- -1/8 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- -2 Tbs rice wine vinegar
- -2 Tbs soy sauce
- -1 Tbs peanut butter
- -1 Tbs plus 1 tsp sesame oil
- -½ cup coconut milk
- 1) Bring the vegetable oil to 375 degrees in a heavy pot.
- 2) While you are waiting for the oil to heat up, make the coconut dipping sauce.
- 3) Combine all of the dipping sauce ingredients in the jar of a blender and puree until smooth.
- 4) Pat the block of Tofu dry and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- 5) Gently ease half of the tofu into the hot oil and fry until golden brown and crispy.
- 6) Remove from the hot oil with a slotted spoon or spider and set on a paper towel to drain. Immediately sprinkle with a little kosher salt.
- 7) Fry the next batch of tofu.
- 8) Serve the Fried Tofu hot with the Coconut Dipping Sauce
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6