This is a quickie recipe, er, really more of an idea.
Remember that big vegetable garden I planted this spring? Well, I am in veggies up to my neck right now!
As a big bowl full of fresh beets stood staring at me the other day, I couldn’t think of what new and wonderful thing to do with them. So I just decided to shove some in my sandwich. Turns out the tender, earthy beets were a nice compliment to the salty crispy bacon, fresh basil and gooey cheese.
To make this sandwich:
Pile the cheese, beets, bacon and basil on the bread and sandwich it closed.
Brush the bread with butter or olive oil and heat on both sides until hot and toasty, and the cheese is melting.
Slice in half and enjoy!
Recipe: Beet, Bacon and Basil Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- -2 large slices rustic bread or baguette
- -2 ounces cheddar cheese
- -1 Beet, roasted or boiled until fork tender and sliced
- -3 strips crispy bacon
- -4-5 leaves fresh basil
- 1. Preheat a griddle or pan to medium heat.
- 2. Pile the cheese, beets, bacon and basil on the bread and sandwich it closed.
- 3. Brush the bread with butter or olive oil and heat on both sides until hot and toasty, and the cheese is melting.
- 4. Slice in half and enjoy!
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 1