Is it ironic and kind of funny for me to post this when I am actually in Asia?
Especially since it isn’t exactly authentic, and I certainly couldn’t find this anywhere here in the Taipei while waiting for the next leg of our flight to Macau. However, it is jam packed full of wonderful flavors that I think of as Asian: cilantro, sesame, edamame, avocado and cucumber. I also added tender lettuces and ribbons rainbow carrots as well as shredded poached chicken.
The dressing is a delicate combination of shallot, honey, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil, and compliments all of the clean delicious vegetables so nicely.
This is a great option for a light summer dinner or for lunch. I could really go for this right now. I am so jetlagged that the words I am writing are swimming in front of my eyeballs right now.
Pia did so well on the airplane. She slept 7 hours on her own and then woke up and entertained herself with movies and an i-pad. What a saintly little child. I wish I did as well! Whaaaaaaahhhh!!!! I just want my bed!!!
We just raided the Hello Kitty store with my dad. Um, at 7:30 AM local time there was a long line and it was cranking. As Pia said, it was “Hello-Kitty-Tastic!”
Then we had wonton soup and steamed dumplings. Pia ate a dozen herself. Between Hello-kitty and the won-tons, she has already settled right in here in China.
She keeps saying that this is the best day of her life. I am trying to relish in her joy as a diversion to my jet lag and old aching body.
Ok, to make this salad, this is what you do:
In a large bowl, combine the vegetable ingredients in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, combine all of the dressing ingredients and season to taste.
Toss the salad with the dressing and pile on a platter. Shred the chicken over the top and sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Recipe: Asain Cicken Salad with Honey Sesame Salad
- -5 cups lettuce
- -2 cups red cabbage thinly sliced
- -1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- -3 carrots ribboned (peels of ribbon done with a carrot peeler)
- -1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- -½ cup edamame beans (shelled)
- -½ cup loosely packed cilantro
- -1 large breast of chicken, poached
- -Sesame seeds for garnish
- Honey Sesame Dressing
- -1 shallot minced
- -1 tablespoon honey
- -¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- -2 Tablesoons Sesame oil
- -1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
- -kosher salt
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the vegetable ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine all of the dressing ingredients and season to taste.
- 3. Toss the salad with the dressing and pile on a platter. Shred the chicken over the top and sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4