Hi guys! Today is short and sweet- this has been a very busy and crazy week.
For example I am actually typing away at 4am here, before I head to gasworks park in Seattle to shoot the morning news (KING5!!) and stream live all morning, talking about 4th of July food and fun! But again- its 4AM.
Yesterday I did a really fun segment over at New Day Northwest that turned into a surprise for everyone.
Pia had been dying to see where I go to film that show (since she is always in school when I am doing it). So I let them come down while I was unpacking and setting up, trying to keep them out of everyone’s way. Well, Margaret Larson, the host, is like the sweetest person alive. She took one look at the girls and said “Do you girls want to be on tv!?” while I slashed “noooooo!!!!” silently in the background. Um, remember this??? http://www.heatherchristo.com/cooks/2013/01/31/beer-chocolate-peanut-and-pretzel-cookies/
But they were really pretty good. Except for when Coco is trying to tell me that Pia is being mean to her. Well, I guess the chocolate cupcake took care of those concerns, but I paid the price for 10 AM chocolate cupcakes later. Trust me.
Anyways. I will stop babbling. I just wanted to share an easy and fresh crostini recipe I thought might come in handy over this long 4th of July weekend. I will still post a Thirsty Thursday tomorrow and feel free to hit my archives and find any other recipes that you might need. There are tons of grilling ideas, fresh salads and appetizers and of course, fun drinks!! Happy 4th everyone! XOXOXO
Recipe: peach and tomato crostini with basil lemon ricotta
- 1 baguette, sliced (about 24 pieces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 ½ cups ricotta cheese
- 1 lemons zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup basil
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 peach, pit removed and large diced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ¼ cup fresh basil, julienned
- ¼ cup fresh mint, julienned
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 lemons zest
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Balsamic glaze (I found mine at trader joes)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Toast the crostini, drizzled with the tablespoon of olive oil for 7 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with a little kosher salt and rub each piece with the clove of raw garlic.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the ricotta, lemons juice and zest and basil. Pulse until smooth and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the peaches and cherry tomatoes with the fresh herbs, shallot and zest and toss with the olive oil and kosher salt to taste.
- Spread each toast with a generous amount of the ricotta mixture, and then top it with a generous amount of the peach-tomato mixture.
- Drizzle the balsamic glaze over the top and serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 7 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12