As far as grubbing down goes, I am pretty maxed out. We have been going out every night and my outfits are getting more and more desperate (and elastic). What is it about these long Holiday weekends and the CRAZY eating? Or is it just me….
We have had so much fun hanging out with friends and family, and even just to have Pete home for 4 days is rare and amazing- we have really enjoyed it. I feel like it was a long needed mini vacation for our whole family. And two of the days we did nothing but lie about the house and the sunny back yard and read books and veg. It was heaven.
But lets get real. If I keep eating like I have been, I won’t have any pants left soon. So here comes the well promised Kale salad.
Another note about kale. I don’t like it. At least, not much. But I have really learned to enjoy it raw in a salad. The crunchiness of the leaves makes for great salad and I like how the leaves are so strong and hearty that they don’t wilt with the dressing. They can hold their own, you know? That makes it so that I can save leftovers in Tupperware and it is actually edible the next day.
I have been using a lot of the curly kale from Trader Joes. I just pick through it and remove all of the stems and tough parts and keep the tender curly leaves. But Anyone growing kale in their summer garden probably has a crazy supply ready for harvest. And this wonderful Sesame Dressing and the sweet bell peppers really make this kale salad fresh and delicious. A little grilled chicken would be great too. This will definitely be what I am having for dinner today…
To make this Asian Kale Salad with Sesame Dressing, this is what you do:
In a large bowl combine the curly kale leaves, bell pepper, green onions and cucumber.
In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the Sesame Dressing and whisk them together with a fork.
Toss the salad and serve immediately.
Recipe: Asian Kale Salad with Sesame Dressing
- 8 cups curly kale leaves, stems removed, torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow bell pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber (I used Persian) thinly sliced
- Sesame Dressing
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 teaspoons agave or honey
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- In a large bowl combine the curly kale leaves, bell pepper, green onions and cucumber.
- In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the Sesame Dressing and whisk them together with a fork.
- Toss the salad and serve immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4