We have had a terrible time finding a recipe for pancakes that my kids will actually eat and that are gluten, dairy and egg free (I mean- brutal!!!!) And I like the idea of them eating something that is hearty and will keep them full when we are skiing or running around on the weekends (smoothies don’t always do the trick!) and that they like!
So this was the first gluten free pancake recipe that they were interested in eating- and to my surprise, especially Coco! She seriously had about a dozen of them!
I loved the crispy edges they get from frying in vegetable oil and the creamy richness that comes from the coconut milk is awesome. But it is the burst of strawberries, lightly fried inside the coconut pancakes that was so delicious!
So here is another kid approved (and adult approved!) recipe- this time for making your weekend breakfast more exciting!
Recipe: Coconut Strawberry Pancakes- vegan/gluten-free
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or beet sugar)
- 1 egg (or 1 eggs worth of egg replacer)
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil , melted
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Hot syrup for serving
- Preheat griddle to 375 degrees. If you are using a pan, wait until right before you are ready to cook, and then heat to medium-high.
- In a medium bowl, gently whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Make a well in the center and add the egg and the coconut milk and the melted coconut oil. Whisk hard until everything is well combined and smooth.
- Add a few Tbs of vegetable oil to a large griddle or a few tsp of oil to a pan, (you are going to have to eyeball this to make sure they don’t stick). Pour your pancakes at whatever size you desire.
- When they have been cooking a minute and the bubbles start to form on the surface of the batter, it is time to add the strawberries to the pancakes. Then flip the pancake with a spatula.
- Cook an additional minute or so, and then remove to a waiting plate. Top with hot syrup and enjoy immediately!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4