Blueberry Cream Scones with Raspberry Jam
These tender and creamy scones are for reader Nicola and her husband. She wrote in and requested a Blueberry Cream Scone, and well, it was hard to argue with figuring out how to make those.
I actually just went back and took my favorite secret scone recipe from my catering days, (not so secret anymore!) and swapped out some of the flavorings to make a gorgeous blueberry cream scone.
But since I always have trouble with leaving good enough alone, I had to keep going. With the 4th of July coming up, I realized that I could easily make these red-white and blue scones with the simple addition of some red raspberry jam.
So I did it. I cut the dough in half, and made a scone sandwich with the jam. They baked up beautifully, (although a little messy!) and tasted incredible. In the words of Pia, “mom, these are like really, really delicious!”
Blueberry Scones with Raspberry Jam, yields 6 large scones
2 cups flour
½ cup sugar
1tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
8 Tbs butter, cold and cut into 1” pieces
2/3 cup cold cream
½ cup of fresh blueberries
1/3 cup raspberry Jam
2 tsp cream
2 tsp sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a sheet pan with parchment or a silpat.
*My morning helpers still in their pj’s and bed head.
2) In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3) Cut up a stick of butter into small pieces
4) Using a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
5) In a separate smaller bowl, beat together the egg and the cream until well combined.
6) Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients in the bowl.
7) Pour the wet ingredients into the well.
8) Using a spatula, gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
9) Continue folding the dough until it holds together.
10) Transfer the scone dough to a floured surface and gently work the dough into a disc shape. * If adding blueberries this is the time when you gently work them into the dough, taking care not to burst them.
(this is a batch without blueberries)
11)Flour a sharp knife and slice through the dough horizontally.
12) Gently fold the top over.
13) Spread the raspberry jam over the top of the bottom layer.
14) Gently place the top back on the scones.
15) Flour the knife again and slice the disc into 6 triangles.
16) Place the blueberry scones on the prepared sheet pan.
17) Brush the tops of the scones with the 2 tsp of cream and sprinkle with a thin layer of granulated sugar.
18) Bake the scones at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes or until golden on top
*This is Pia and Coco reading books while they sit and await their breakfast, keeping a watchful eye on the baking scones.
19) Serve and enjoy!