I am still on the road guys, so I have a quickie today. This is my last day in Chicago and I have a spectacular dinner tonight at Blackbird (please come join me if you are in the area!) and then tomorrow bright and early I head to Minneapolis!
In the mean time, I need salad main lined into my blood stream. Traveling and healthy eating just always fail to go hand in hand for me. I just get too excited about “sampling” all of the delicious things that each city has to offer! (any last minute “must eats” for Chicago?)
But I feel a major salad spree coming on. And in fact I thought I would share one with you today. It has crunch cucumber, buttery avocado, juicy bright orange slices and chicken. It also has spicy, crunchy jalapeno slices! And it is dressed with a sweet and sour orangey dressing. It is so fresh and delicious and I can’t wait to come eat it when I get home. Last time I made this, I made a double batch and ate one for lunch and then ate the rest over orzo pasta for dinner…
Ok, I have to go, my stomach is grumbling….
Recipe: Cucumber, Avocado, Chicken and Orange Salad
- 2 cups thinly sliced English or Persian cucumbers
- 1 whole ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 orange
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- kosher salt
- 1. Arrange the cucumbers, avocado, jalapeno and chicken on a platter or in a bowl.
- 2. Section the orange (cut off the skin and cut each orange slice out of the pith- see here for pictures) Add the oranges to the bowl or platter. Then squeeze the orange juice stuck in the leftover pulp and skin into a small bowl.
- 3. Combine 2 tablespoons of the leftover orange juice, the oil and the vinegar and whisk it together with the shallots. Season to taste with kosher salt and pour over the salad. Serve chilled.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2