Brussels Sprouts Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Hey guy! I have spent the last few days spending long hours on the set of the new season of HGTV’s Rescue my Renovation in different parts of the greater New York area. I am having so much fun seeing the crew and being creative and helping all of these deserving people. But by the end of the day, I am STARVING!!! Pete and I have so much fun every night choosing where we will go get dinner- but yesterday all I could think about was this sandwich, (even at dinner!) so I decided it was a sign that I post this sandwich for you!
I’ll be honest. I know for some of you there is little I can say or do to convince you that this one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. Strange I know. I am not sure how I can even fully explain how this totally vegetarian, cruciferous vegetable stuffed sandwich works its magic. But it does.
I can only reason that it is the gooey, oozing melted Gouda cheese (“oozing” is an ok word to use when referring to cheese, right?) and the slightly caramelized red onions. And I can’t forget the chewy sourdough bread (God bless whoever invented sour dough bread). But please, no matter what pre-conceived ideas you may have, the BRUSSLES SPROUTS are what put this over the edge!!! I swear it!!
Little crispy bits of shredded Brussels sprouts are sauted with the red onions and begin to caramelize as well. The flavor is tremendous. I could barely get through the “photo shoot” because I just wanted to gobble it all down. But as soon as I started whopping about how freaking good it was, I all the sudden had a bunch of skeptical family members swarming around wanting to see (or taste) for themselves. Lets just say that the only disagreeing going on was over who got to finish the sample sandwich….
Recipe: Brussels Sprouts Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup thinly shredded brussles sprouts
- kosher salt
- 4 thick slices sourdough bread
- 4 ounces gouda cheese (havarti or mozzarella would be great too)
- 2 tbs olive oil (or butter) for frying
- In a large nonstick pan add the 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the red onion and sauté until soft. About 3 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts, sprinkle with kosher salt and sauté another 2 minutes and then remove from the heat.
- Divide the gouda cheese and the onion/brussles sprouts combo between the two sandwiches.
- Add the olive oil (or butter) back to the sauté pan over medium-low heat and add the sandwiches. Cook until the bread is golden brown on both sides (about 5 minutes on each size) and the cheese is melting.
- Slice in half and serve hot!
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2