So yesterday I asked everyone on social media (facebook and twitter) if they would prefer Coconut Caramel Corn or this Chocolate Pumpkin Bread. You can see which one won out (although narrowly! So the caramel corn will be up on Friday.)
I made this bread last week when Pia was having a play date. I wanted to make a couple different types of bread and I always love it when extra kids are around to be my guinea pigs since my own kids are totally anti my food right now. Have I told you guys about this? Like they honestly don’t want anything I make all of the sudden. After the craziest begging every day, Pia has switched to school “hot lunch” (will she get tired of it soon?) and comes home telling me how she ate salad, broccoli, all kinds of stuff that she would NEVER eat for me these days- so maybe it isn’t all bad… Maybe it is just my ego that is bruised!?
Coco won’t even eat the cookies that I make. I am serious. I don’t know what is wrong with them! Hopefully this is “just a phase”! However while Pia passed on this bread, Coco did dig in, and everyone else loved it. It was nice and warm from the oven and really moist from the pumpkin and the milk. But it was the cinnamon glaze that gave it such a wonderful hint of Autumn flavor.
This bread is walking the line of being a cake- doncha think? But I like it that way. Because when you call it “bread” you can still eat it for breakfast…
Recipe: Chocolate Pumpkin Bread with Cinnamon Glaze
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup milk
- Cinnamon Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and prepare a loaf pan by generously spraying it with baking spray.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy and then add the eggs one by one and beat until creamy.
- Add the vanilla and the pumpkin and beat until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the batter and partially combine.
- Add the milk and beat the batter until smooth and creamy and completely combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and put in the oven to bake for 45 minutes.
- Let the bread cool. When it is cool enough to handle, prepare the glaze.
- For the glaze, in a small bowl, whisk the powdered sugar, cinnamon, heavy cream and salt until smooth.
- Gently remove the bread from the pan and drizzle the glaze over the bread. Slice and serve!!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8