I have to be honest, 2013 was kind of a hard year for me. I can’t help but appreciate all of the wonderful things that happened with my family and the excitement of my book coming out, but there was quite a bit of salt involved too. Let me just tell you that I felt like 2013 gave me one last sucker punch as my computer, phone, camera and front tooth all broke yesterday. Funny, or completely bizarre? Probably both. Either way, I needed to have some fun last night, and with great joy and the people I love I happily ushered in this shiny new year! I have a great feeling about the possibilities of the new year and I can’t wait to get started!
But after a crazy night of celebration there is only one little problem to address for me, and it is not how to start my healthy new year. It is how to cure my hangover.
Even if I just have a small headache, New Years Day tends to be all about a big breakfast followed by a day of lying on the couch and watching movies. In elastic pants.
For me, that breakfast is best served up in the form of a “breakfast sandwich.” I know that the standard egg, cheese and ham on an English muffin is tempting, but this variety takes it up a notch (or 10) and is not much more difficult.
The idea of making homemade biscuits may be throwing you for a loop (especially if your head is throbbing!) but I promise you, these are so fast and easy! If you have a food processor, the entire recipe will take 10 minutes max to make and 15 to bake. In the mean time you can fry your bacon and eggs and have the whole thing piping hot and fresh in 25 minutes. Not bad. Plus you will look like a star to your family or any straggling friends that may have crashed on your couch.
And then, when I am lounging on the couch with my belly full of this dreamy breakfast sandwich, I can try making my New Years Resolutions. Which will obviously start tomorrow….
Recipe: Basil, Bacon and Tomato Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 Basil-Ricotta Biscuit
- 4 tablespoons pesto (homemade or store bought)
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella
- 2 slice ripe tomato
- 4 crispy slices Bacon
- 2 fried eggs
- Basil-Ricotta Biscuits:
- -2 cups flour
- -1 ½ teaspoons salt
- -3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup loose packed basil leaves
- -1 cup crumbled ricotta
- -4 tablespoons butter
- -1/2 cup Guinness, Stout or dark beer
- -1 Tablespoon milk
- 1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees, and prepare a sheet pan with a silpat or a sheet of parchment paper.
- 2. In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, salt and baking powder with the basil.
- 3. Add the ricotta and pulse together.
- 4. Cut in the butter until you have a coarse crumb.
- 5. Add the beer and pulse until you have a uniform dough.
- 6. Transfer the dough to a generously floured surface and pat into a disc. Cut the dough into 6 rounds.
- 7. Place the biscuits on the baking sheet and lightly brush them with a little milk.
- 8. Bake the biscuits for 10 minutes at 450 degrees.
- 9. In the last few minutes of baking, fry the eggs in a small pan with a little butter or vegetable oil. Cook to desired level of runniness, I like 4 minutes on medium-low heat.
- 9. Slice two of the biscuits in half and slather the bottom half with the pesto. Add the fresh mozzarella, tomato, bacon and a hot fried egg and top with the other half of the biscuit. Serve Immediately!
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2