Margaritas. Yes. Watermelon. Yes. And then comes the salt!!! I am actually not usually a salted rim kind of girl, but sometimes it is the right contrast of sweet and salt, and this is one of those times.
In fact, I love the salt with the watermelon- it totally reminds me of those delicious watermelon salads with a tiny bit of feta in them? Only better than that, and in a cocktail form…
I thought that this would be EXCELLENT and festive and beautiful for the 4th of July just around the corner, or really just any hot Summer night that you were craving a cocktail!
Recipe: Salted Watermelon Margaritas
- ¼ cup Watermelon Simple Syrup
- ¼ cup fresh watermelon puree
- ¼ cup Fresh Lime juice
- 4 ounces Grand Marnier
- 4 ounces Tequila
- Watermelon Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fresh watermelon chunks
- Watermelon Puree
- ½ cup fresh watermelon chunks
- Kosher salt and a lime wedge for the rim.
- For the Watermelon Syrup: Bring everything to a simmer and let cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Strain the syrup through a chinoise and reserve juice. Chill the syrup.
- For the Watermelon Puree: Add the chunks to the jar of a blender and puree on high until you have a smooth puree.
- Wipe the rim of each glass with a wedge of lime juice and dip into kosher salt to create the salted rim.
- To make the drink, combine ice, the syrup, the puree, the lime juice and the liquor in a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously and then pour into a chilled ice filled glass. Garnish with a lime slice.
Preparation time: 2 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2