Yes- I know that I am like 8 years behind the trend with this! Lol! BUT this is another one of those revival recipes, re configured and re photographed (here is the original)! Plus, I still totally eat this, old trend or not. And my family still eats this and loves it and I have never taken this to a party where anyone has complained….. So……
This was at one time a very requested recipe from several friends and my sister-in-laws. Well, I am lying- my mom’s version was. But my mom wasn’t writing anything down- so I had to be logical and go and make a recipe so everyone could have it when they wanted it!
And now, this, or versions of this have become a staple appetizer at family events. It is a nice bonus that it is really healthy and can be enjoyed even with the food allergies (well except for Pia, but she wasn’t going to eat a bowl of raw tuna and chilis anyways, so I am not going to worry about it! Plus, we have always served it with rice crackers (gluten free!!) and now I often add cucumber slices which are another delicious and fresh way to shovel all of that goodness into my mouth!
So, it is an obvious appetizer, but I also suspect that this would be amazing heaped over rice and crisp vegetables a la Spicy Salmon Sushi Bowls…. What do you think?
Recipe: Asian Tuna Tartar
- 1 inch long piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tabelspoons sesame oil
- 2 tabelspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tabelspoons soy sauce
- 8oz Sashimi Grade Tuna, chopped into small pieces (1/4” cubes)
- 1 small avocado, chopped into ¼” chunks
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 red Fresno chili, minced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (green and white)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Rice crackers and fresh cucumber slices to serve
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ginger, garlic, sesame oil, rice wine vinegar and soy sauce and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, gently fold together the tuna, avocado, chills and green onions.
- Pour the dressing over the ingredients and gently fold together to coat.
- Sprinkle the fresh cilantro in and fold one more time. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with crackers and cucumber slices.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6