I am writing this from mid air somewhere over the mid west. I have spent the last 3 days in New Jersey filming more for my HGTV episodes. It was so exciting, as we are finally getting around to the reveals for some of these families. But I am so excited to be going home to spend the holiday weekend with my family. I guarantee that I will be peeking in on my little babies when I get home tonight and kissing them just short of waking them up!
And I cannot wait for this weekend. It’s my 6 year wedding anniversary tomorrow. I cannot believe how quickly it has gone, and how lucky I feel to be with my husband. I love him to the ends of the earth. So we are going to spend a lovely day together and then spend the rest of the weekend with family and friends. Thinking about it from my sweaty, cramped seat right now, it kind of sounds like heaven. I just want to putter in my garden. Play with my children, NAP, and BBQ. (we’ll see how this goes in reality- but let me have my fantasy.)
So, for all of you that are getting ready to BBQ, I thought I would give you a great recipe for a unique burger. A grilled lamb burger, topped high with a delicious Greek inspired Feta Cheese Spread, Sweet Onion and Chili Ketchup, Spicy Pickled Cucumbers and red onion. It is sort of like a greek salad on a burger- except on steroids. It’s freakishly good, and I need you to make them. This weekend.
I am trouble since I don’t have pictures of the process. I am sorry- but it’s easy- I promise!
Recipe: Grilled Lamb Burgers
Summary: makes 6 burgers
- -2 slices bread
- -½ cup red wine
- -2 lbs ground lamb
- -1 egg
- -2 cloves garlic
- -½ cup green onions, minced
- -2 Tbs fresh mint, minced
- -2 Tbs fresh oregano, minced
- -Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- -6 Buns
- –Feta Cheese Spread
- –Sweet Onion and Chili Ketchup
- –Spicy Pickled Cucumbers
- – Red Onions
- -Freshly sliced Tomatoes
- Grilled Lamb Burgers
- 1) In a small bowl add the bread and the red wine and let the bread soak up the wine.
- 2) In a large bowl, break up the ground lamb.
- 3) Wring out the bread, breaking up the wet bread into tiny pieces in the bowl with the lamb. Discard extra wine.
- 4) Add the egg, the garlic, green onions, mint and oregano. Mix everything together really well.
- 5) In a small non stick pan. Cook up a small bit to taste for seasoning.
- 6) Form 6 patties and set them on a sheet pan covered in parchment paper. Wrap them in plastic wrap and refrigerate them until you are ready to cook them. I like to make them early in the day so that the flavors marry really well.
- 7) When you are ready to cook them, preheat your grill to medium heat. Oil the grill so that the burgers don’t stick.
- 8) Cook them 5-6 minutes one each side or until medium and still a little pink on the inside.
- 9) Place the burger on a bun with the feta cheese spread, ketchup, spicy pickles, tomatoes and red onions.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6