nuts

Candied Pecans

Candied Pecans

These are a real situation for me. Chocolate cake: I don’t have to have it. Cookies: I could walk by them if I needed to. But candied nuts is up there with caramel corn in the kryptonite category. I can’t help myself. Like not even a little bit. I went so far as to wrap the top of the bowl in a dish towel to try to keep my grubby little fingers out of the bowl. It only worked until I pulled the towel off.

Enough about my embarrassing lack of will power, and more about the nuts. Besides compulsive snacking, they are also outstanding in salads. In fact I will post one tomorrow. And with how incredibly expensive (and often mediocre) candied nuts are to buy at the store- this makes my life easier and tastier!

The whipped egg white is what helps them have the lightest, crispiest coating instead of a more traditional glaze. There is just a bit of cinnamon and a tiny bit of cayenne for dimension, but you could certainly kick it up with more cayenne.

Have fun making this easy and ADDICTIVE snack. Oh- also, you could obviously do this recipe with any other type of nuts.

Candied Pecans
2 cups pecans
1 egg white
1 cup sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
½ tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a sheet pan with a silpat or a piece of parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk an egg white with a pinch of salt until frothy and pale.

Add the nuts and gently toss to coat.

Add ½ cup of sugar and toss.

Add the rest of the sugar, salt and spices.

Toss to coat and spread on a sheetpan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

Take them out and stir them around with a spatula.

Bake them for an additional 5 minutes.

When you take them out, stir them a little further with the spatula and let them cool.

Store in an airtight container or Ziploc bag for up to a month.

1. These look delish!

2. Kate Avansino says:

I am the SAME WAY. I made your caramel corn recipe, brought it to a party, and now have people telling me that their lives will never be the same if I dont make more. I will be making these tomorrow if not today but I do fear the consecuences…

• YESSSS!!!!! Someone who understands the pain of crunchy, sweet snack food!!

3. jenjenk says:

I remember when I used to like you…before you introduced THIS!! I love, love, love candied nuts of any kind. WHY did you bring this into my life????? Now I’ll be like 500 pounds and it will be ALL YOUR FAULT [no fault or responsibility of my own, of course]. :)

• yay!! Jen! are you back from your world travels? nothing like plumping up on candied nuts right before shorts weather, right?

4. Those look wonderful. I can just imagine how good they smelled!

5. Vicki in GA says:

Pee-cans as they are pronounced in the south are one of my favorite nuts. I imagine candied pee-cans placed on the top of your Z cake…I can’t pass up chocolate cake…no way…no how!

• No one should pass up chocolate cake!! Do you have any pecan recipes up your sleeve Vicki?

6. I agree that candied nuts are so addictive. I’m always excited when our neighbors give us some during the holidays. Yours look positively irresistible.

Thanks for posting this Heather! You are so right about buying them.

8. Katrina says:

Great recipe. I love these in salads!

9. Vicki in GA says:

I use pecans in many recipes so defining one special recipe would be difficult. I love to make Sonoma Chicken Salad with chicken, pecans, grapes, etc., from Whole Foods recipe site. I buy pecans from farms in GA so they are so fresh. I’ve shelled them, but won’t do it again – way too much work.

I’ll send you a good recipe for banana nut bread from a Savannah. The cafe’ makes fresh toast from the nut bread. Delish.

• I live for banana bread. please do!

Chicken salad sound really good- I may have to give that a whirl!

10. susan jewett/mom says:

am sitting in the Taipei air port reading about the candied Pecans and having my mouth water. It is not a pretty sight but so earned when I think about eating these. May try making these when I get into China.. Mom

11. Elizabeth says:

Wow, that looks so yummy! Thanks for posting!