Mango Strawberry Spritzer

Mango Strawberry Spritzer

The funny thing about vacation is that you wait all year (or years) to take one, and then when you do- sometimes it feels like it never happened! This drink was inspired by the family vacation we just took, and this is my desperate attempt to pretend that I am still there. There will be several vacation inspired recipes trickling out in the next few weeks, or maybe months- hope you don’t mind!

There was a beach “shack” where we would go every day on our trip. The kids would build sand castles and I would sit around and guzzle a drink called the “Anguillan”. It was explained as mango, strawberry and ginger ale. Now, I saw them make it, and there was a lot more involved (syrups and sweeteners and other things that made my tongue thick with sugar- it was vacation after all!)

But when I got home, I decided to make my own version that is just as simply as it was described to me, a Mango Strawberry Spritzer: fresh tart strawberries, juicy sweet mango and slightly spiced ginger ale. Refreshing, festive and perfect for hot summer drink guzzling!

Mango Strawberry Spritzer, serves 2
-½ Mango, peeled and diced
-2 Strawberries, diced
-1 can Ginger Ale
-Ice and straws
-you need a “muddler” or something blunt to smash fruit

1) Prepare the fruit.

2) Divide the fruit between the two glasses.

3) Using the muddler, smash the fruit into a pulp in the bottom of each glass.

4) Fill the glass with ice cubes.

5) Pour the ginger ale into the glass to the top.

When you serve with a straw, quickly stir, and it will mix everything together and the whole drink will fizz!

Enjoy!

1. How absolutely refreshing! I love the mango and strawberry together!

2. Katrina says:

This looks so wonderful! Great recipe!

3. Shelby says:

Sounds wonderful and refreshing!

4. Come vaca. here in Ri – we will host you….and you can make the drinks.

5. Vicki in GA says:

My mouth is watering – the drink looks refreshing. Tomorrow, I’ll make one and pretend I’m on vacation.

The beach looks lovely – I do miss being closer to the ocean.

6. Diane says:

Mangos and Strawberries. What a great combination. Those are huge seashells in your picture. How fun

7. Vicki in GA says:

At your vacation spot, Is dining elegant and food as amazing as I’ve been told? How did you pick your vacation destination?

• We both had to work back east, and we always take the kids with us everywhere. So then we go to the simple math of how many hours we have to spend on a plane with the kids. Staying on the East coast, albeit south- was MUCH easier than flying back to Seattle and then south, or even further West to Hawaii. Plus I read that book “Blanchards- a trip to the beach” when I was young, and it has always stuck in my mind. Anguilla did not disapoint. Food was amazing!!!!

8. Vicki in GA says:

Thanks for responding to my question. I am so impressed you take your children with you. Like I’ve said before, you are an excellent mother.

• Thanks Vicki! Yeah- we committed to it when Pia was just a baby. My husband travels so much, and now I do- I couldn’t bear to have our family split up all the time, so this is how we do it. It may be very hectic sometimes, (and bless my mother who often travels with us to make my work possible) but at least we are together. Thank you for the compliment-that is the one that matters the most :)