baba

Banana Coconut Muffins

Banana Coconut Muffins
banana coconut muffins

My oldest daughter just started full time school last week. Like 5 days a week, 8-3 school. Like I feel like a barely get to even see her ever again full time school.

Instead of sitting around all day thinking about how quiet it is and blubbering about how I wonder what she is doing right now- I am trying to make the most of the time that I do get to see her. This means having plans for dinner and for breakfast so I am not scrambling around trying to come up with something last second.

banana coconut muffins

For breakfast, one of the easiest solutions for me is always muffins. The kids love to help me make them, and because there are so many options for different flavors, the possibilities are endless! Plus they are a synch to serve up with a yogurt, or throw in a baggy for the car if need be.

This week, the muffin flavor of the week is….Banana Coconut!

banana coconut muffins
(isn’t my cute helper getting big!?)

Lets just say that I had a bunch of overly ripe bananas lying about. And when I felt that that wasn’t quite going to be enough, I threw in some flavorful coconut (also high in fiber!).

The result is a super moist muffin with great texture and a tropical banana-coconut flavor! These also freeze really well, so that you can unthaw them in a flash for breakfast.

Banana Coconut Muffins, makes 2 dozen
1 cup butter, soft
3 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 Tbs vanilla
2 cups bananas, smashed
3 cups flour
3 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 cups flaked coconut, unsweetened

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and spray 2 muffin tins with baking spray.

In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.

banana coconut muffins

Add the eggs and the vanilla and beat until well combined and fluffy.

banana coconut muffins

Add the smashed bananas and beat to combine.

banana coconut muffins

Meanwhile, combine the dry ingredients (including the coconut) in a separate bowl.

banana coconut muffins

Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl, and mix until combined.

banana coconut muffins

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans.

Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

banana coconut muffins

Let the muffins cool slightly before removing them from the pan.

Enjoy!

1. Jeanette says:

These banana coconut muffins look super tender. Your kids are so cute! I make muffins for school day breakfasts too – they are really convenient for on the go days.

2. Vicki in GA says:

Tell Pia she is the most beautiful school girl I’ve ever seen!!!

Two of my favorite food items in a muffin – bananas and coconut .

Coco is getting big! No more high chair!

3. These look tasty and incredibly easy! Thanks for the recipe.

4. Yum! I look forward to baking these.

5. Muffinista says:

YUM! I’ve been tossing brown banannas too much lately … and I love coconut … definitely going to make these. Love that photo of the girls on the first day of school … DARLING with them holding hands! I can’t believe how big Coco looks in the kitchen now either … it wasn’t that long ago she was in her pink highchair as a kitchen spectator … now she has graduated to sous chef already!

6. Amanda says:

I JUST made cookies with that same coconut and I adore it! But gotta tell ya, these muffins sound amazing. I am going to totally make some this week!

7. Muffinista says:

I knew you’d approve ;) hee he

8. Kristen says:

Looks like you found a lovely way to pass the time! These muffins look delicious.

9. Your girls are so sweet! These muffins look like a wonderful treat. I’ll be your eldest enjoys them as an after school snack.

10. Hi Heather!
    I read your post and it brought back many happy memories of sending my two off for school! I can’t believe how quickly the time has passed – I just sent my oldest off to college and the youngest is now a seasoned high school veteran (or so he thinks as a a sophomore!) These muffins sound deiicious and just the thing for busy school mornings or as afternoon snacks! Since these are some of my favorite flavors, I think I need to whip up a batch!

Love the muffins and your cute helper :)

12. Love the addition of coconut. It is an ingredient that I completely enjoy in baked goods!

When your first child begins school it is tough but this is really when they start their independent lives. They now have their own social world! Scarey, yes but at the same time between learning cool new things and making friends it turns out to be be pretty darn cool. They now have stuff to share with you that you don’t already know!

• That is such a nice way of thinking about it Laura- thanks!

Oh, I bet you’re going to be the designated favorite let’s go play at Pia’s house after school mom! Can’t believe the baby is no longer a baby.

14. I love that they can already use the mixer!

15. These sounds perfect for breakfast around here! YUM!

16. Soupista says:

Made this last week … love the coconut in them, very moist and very good … perfect for a quick breakfast!

17. Anya says:

I made these last night and they’re awesome!! A few substitutions- only 1.5 cups of sugar, 2 tbsp of honey and cut down butter in half and used 3/4 of a can of coconut milk instead. Loved them as banana bread and made some with cream cheese frosting with coconut on top :) thanks!!

• oh! I would love to try these with coconut milk!

18. ss jewett says:

These muffins are so great and whats there not to like about bananas and coconut! Great work!

19. Kam Clark says:

I made these today for a small brunch for friends. They were delicious! Thank you for the recipe.

20. Caroline H. says:

YUM! Delicious! My older daughter, who has sworn that she doesn’t like muffins because there is no frosting on them (in other words, they are NOT cupcakes), absolutely loves these. She can’t wait for our bananas to start browning so that we can make another batch!