german chocolate cookies

German Chocolate Cookies

German Chocolate Cookies

These cookies take all of the glory of a soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie, and up the ante with the flavors of a German Chocolate Cake: Chocolate Chunks, Sweet Coconut and Crunchy Pecans.

Pete and I took the girls to Sea World in San Diego last weekend. (By the way, I am pretty sure that I missed my calling in life as a Dolphin trainer.) I sat on the edge of my seat throughout the entire show, and teared up every time they showed their cute faces to the audience. I shed some tears. Pete and the girls were like “what is wrong with you??” I tend to be a bit sensitive…

I guess I am getting off track. I will try again.

The point is that the hotel we stayed at in San Diego had the most incredible sounding cookies on the menu: German Chocolate Cookies. They didn’t quite live up to my expectations, but you can bet that they day we got home; I went straight into the kitchen and whipped up my own version. And these my friends, deliver.

German Chocolate Cookies, makes 2 dozen
-1 cup salted butter, softened
-1 ½ cups white sugar
-2 tsp vanilla
-2 eggs
-2 ¼ cups flour
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp salt
-1 bag chocolate chunks
-2 cups coconut
-2 cups pecans, chopped

1)Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and prepare two sheet pans with parchment or silpats.

2)In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until creamy.

3)Add the vanilla and the eggs and beat until creamy

4)Meanwhile mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.

5)Add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl and stir until you have a thick cookie dough.

6)Add the chocolate chunks, coconut and pecans

7)Scoop the cookies onto the sheet pans.

8) Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes. (When you take the cookies out they should still be a bit doughy looking in the middle- they will firm up).

Enjoy!

1. The coconut is an awesome addition. Love these!

2. These look so good. Love the coconut.

3. Amanda says:

Oh wow. Too delicious for words!!!

4. Soupista says:

These cookies sound A-MAZING! You would have made a great dolphin trainer :) Have you ever done a swim with a dolphin?

• I like to think I would have been too :) No- haven’t gotten in the water with them. I’m worried I will be scared to to my irrational fear of sharks. In places like a swimming pool.

Now that is s attack of cookies. Love coconut and chocolate together…Pecans always swoon too!

6. Esi says:

Ooh, I like the coconut in these!

• Yes! That coconut gives them a great chewy texture!

7. Danyel Erickson says:

Delicious looking cookies Heather!

8. Vicki in GA says:

Wow. Question for you, my mentor and master of the kitchen, how does one make cookies crunchy and less soft? I love cookies that are crunchy around the outside. These look like cookies that might have that texture – crunch and chewy at the same time.

• These are like that Vicki! DO NOT USE non stick pans. those make cookies brown and cakey.
      The white sugar seems to create a chewiness in the center that I really like.

9. This is such a fabulous idea – I have to try these! Hope you and the family had a fantastic time in our fair city! :-)

10. These look dangerously delicious. I’m afraid that if I made these I’d eat them all myself!

11. I am with Brooke – if I made these I’d eat them all myself!!!

12. Soupista says:

I made these tonight – the coconut and pecans really add a great flavor and texture to this cookie!

• Oh I am so excited! glad they were yummy!

13. Love the coconut in there! I bet it adds a great texture.

14. That is the perfect combination of flavors right there. Delicious! Come over and visit us. We have the most amazing apple cake you have ever tasted.

Brilliant!!!

16. Jen Marie says:

Vicki in GA, Butter helps with the crispy edges, I find.

Heather, the only bad thing I’ve found about baking more and more for myself is that often I get something out and I think, “I could totally make this better.” We’ve got a few recipe’s that the kids won’t eat out, they want hubby’s and mine instead.

I guess that’s not such a bad thing after all, tho. :)

• Jen- it’s great that your kids know what good and what’s not! Yeah, dessert out is VERY RARELY an awesome experience. Being a former pastry chef I had an obsession with wonderful last bites, because it is the last thing you are left with, right!? It/s ok- I am happy to come home and eat homemade cookies instead :)

• you mean more butter in the recipe?

17. Whoa! These look amazing. I love warm chocolate chip cookies.

18. My father loves German Chocolate Cake but always eats too much — I think I’ll have to start making him these cookies as a tasty alternative.

19. this really does sound exciting. German chocolate cookies! WOW

Will be linking back to this in my upcoming post :)