6257908782_e03921ffc3

Potato Leek Soup

I’m not sure what is crazier: the monster leeks that came in my produce box, or the pasty whiteness that is my arm in Seattle in October. It’s a toss up.

Potato Leek Soup

When you have this many leeks- there is just one thing that comes to my mind. Potato Leek Soup.

Potato Leek Soup

It is like a big bowl of comfort, that happens to taste like mashed potato soup. What’s not to love?

Potato Leek Soup

By the way- you could totally leave out the cream and have a healthier, lower calorie (and gluten free) version. Or you could really load it up (lol!) with sour cream and crumbled bacon and green onions. Either way- It is delicious!

Potato Leek Soup, serves 8
2 Tbs butter
4 cups Leeks (this was two large leeks for me)
8 cups Yukon Gold Potatoes, peeled and chopped (this took 5 large potatoes for me)
1 cup white wine
8 cups water
½ cup cream
Kosher salt
Chives to garnish

In a large soup pot, add the butter and melt it over medium heat. (Don’t brown the butter.)
Potato Leek Soup

Add the Leeks to the melted butter and sprinkle them with Kosher salt.

Potato Leek Soup

Sweat the leeks until tender, and make sure that you don’t let them brown. You can add some water if you need to.

Potato Leek Soup

When the leeks are tender, add the potatoes and the wine and water.

Potato Leek Soup

Add a lid and let the soup simmer on low for about 40 minutes.

Potato Leek Soup

Remove the soup from the heat and use a stick blender to puree the soup to smooth.

Potato Leek Soup

Stir in the cream and season well with Kosher salt.

Potato Leek Soup

Put it back on the stove and heat the soup back up.

Serve it hot with a sprinkling of chives.

1. Katrina says:

This is one of my favorite all time soup flavours! Mmm…

2. Lucy Lean says:

Perfect for fall – pale and interesting white arms !

• lol!! I told you they were pasty white! I like the term “interesting”…

3. OH, I would love a bowl of that right this second! It looks great!

4. This looks delicious! Potato soup is one of my favorites. My arm is the same color as yours year round…even in the summer. I’ve chosen to embrace my paleness – think how good our skin will look when we’re old since we can’t tan :)

• Maggie! Totally- Every year around this time I try to embrace the paleness. It is usually ok until about May, when I douse myself in self tanner and revert to the high schooler in me that wishes I was tan (and blonde for that matter!) The rest of the year I try to make peace with pale skin, freckles and reddish hair :) Long live sunscreen!

5. Soupista says:

Thanks for the soup recipe, Pasty!! I love the flavor of leeks.

• Oh! I can only dream that my new nickname will be pasty!!

6. One of my all-time favorite soups! Delicious.

7. Soupista says:

You make pasty look stunning! You can thank me with another soup recipe, Pasty Christo!

You are hilarious with your arm next to that leek. I really do love leeks & this soup looks amazing!

9. That is one monster leek! That soup looks like the perfect comfort food dish for a fall day.

10. This looks magical. I used to make it in culinary school and adored it.

11. Amanda says:

Wow does that look delish! Those leaks are amazing!

12. Well, I am going to go with “healthy” on both counts! Being Irish, potato and leek soup is a standard – nothing better IMO on cold and dreary days!

13. made my way to your page from yahoo and and am glad i found it, hope you keep up the good work