6489496873_67ff48fbc8

Candy Cane Meringues

candy cane meringues

Candy Cane Meringues are the prettiest, most delicate and delicious holiday cookie. They are super crispy on the outside, and lovely and chewy on the inside while being perfectly sweet and minty!

candy cane meringues

I made these way back in July as I was thinking about the Holidays for some magazine contributions I did. I was so excited about them, that I decided to make them when I recently participated in the “great blogger cookie swap.” (basically I sent 1 dozen to three separate bloggers that I was assigned, and received 3 dozen back from 3 different people. That happened to 600 different people! Fun, huh?!)

candy cane meringues

These are far easier than you could probably imagine, and turn out show stopping and great!

candy cane meringues candy cane meringues candy cane meringues

I piled these into clear acrylic containers and tied them with pink and red ribbons for gifts.

Candy Cane Meringues, makes 1 dozen
4 egg whites, at room temperature (I left mine out over night)
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup crushed candy canes

Preheat the oven to 185 degrees. Prepare a sheetpan with a sheet of parchment paper.

In a glass or stainless steel bowl, whip these egg whites until frothy and light, about 2-3 minutes.

candy cane meringues

Gradually add the powdered sugar and continue to whip on medium-high speed, until they are very stiff and shiny and white, about 10 minutes.

candy cane meringues

Meanwhile, pile some candy canes (about 4 large, or a handful of peppermint candies) into your food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. An alternative is it to put them in a Ziploc and bash them to the same state with a rolling pin. (I suppose it depends on your mood.)

candy cane meringues

With a spatula, fold the candy canes into the meringue.

candy cane meringues

Using a spoon, drop dollops of the meringue onto the prepared sheet pan. (they won’t really spread, so don’t worry about to much space between them.) If you are fancy- put the meringue batter in a piping bag and pipe them onto the sheet pan instead.

candy cane meringues

Bake for two hours until crispy on the outside.

Enjoy!

1. Awww, yeah! These look lovely!

2. these look so beautiful and delicious :) i’ve been craving peppermint for the longest time now!

3. Kristin says:

I bet these are really good! Where do you get your acrylic containers and cute labels?

4. Christy says:

A friend brought these to our Christmas party Saturday night. They were also 1/2 dipped in chocolate and she got the recipe from Sunset magazine. Delicious!

Such sweet and festive meringues! Love the way you packaged them too.

6. pam robinson says:

oh heather… these look amazing…
    hope you are enjoying all of the fun this season…. come see me… xx

• thanks Pam! I know, it has been way too long! I will get down there soon!

7. Avely says:

These look amazing and I love that they’re a healthy alternative to other xmas cookies. Do you think these are ok to make ahead of time and freeze? My sister loves the combination of candy canes and chocolate, any suggestions to add chocolate? Thanks!

• sure= chocolate is a piece of cake! I would just fold in chocolate chunks/chips at the same time as the candy canes (or you could dip them in melted chocolate after they are cooked.) I will be honest- I have never frozen these- so I don’t know for sure. But I bet there would be some degree of sogginess due to the evaporation? I could be wrong- but I don’t think meringues are great for freezing? However they would probably last 10 days in an airtight container!

8. Esi says:

These look great and so easy to make!

9. jenjenk says:

I’m ashamed to admit that i’ve never had a meringue before…i just love that these are so low in calories!!!

• they are low in calories! but they taste good too!

10. We would love these at our house. They look delicious. Come visit. We have a great Kahlua hot cocoa this week and today we are giving away a wonderful Christmas present. A great book and it comes autographed! Come by and register to win.

11. Sue says:

When I’ve made meringues in the past, there is always a lot of syrup that oozes out during the baking making a sticky mess and not a very pretty meringue. Any advice on what I’m doing wrong?

12. LOVE this post and am so excited to try a new easy and fairly inexpensive recipe to bring to neighbors! Thank you!

13. i’ve never had candy cane meringues but these sound fabulous!

14. Tina P. says:

These are in the oven now!!!! I can’t wait to eat one before I pass them out for teacher’s gifts tomorrow. :)

15. These look so yummy! My kids just asked the other night if we could make meringues over the holidays so I’ll print off your recipe!

16. linda says:

One of my very favorite Christmas cookies, but we make them with chocolate chips. Delish!

17. Shari says:

I have these in the oven right now! I can’t wait to try them… I used peppermint candy canes from a local candy store that are melt in your mouth delicious since they are made fresh daily!

18. Mmm, these look delectable! They’d make a great Christmas treat for the family.

19. oh my these look heavenly