These lovely little bites are perfect for New Years Eve- or for the middle of the afternoon- which is when I ate them.
They were inspired by the old recipe I have for Pear and Leek Turnovers (amazing by the way.) I tried to recreate the flavor combinations of sweet, salty, pungent and sour.
I almost used brie, because, well, who doesn’t love melted brie? But then I chose Cambozola. It is like brie, (soft and creamy) but then it has luscious veins of blue. If you haven’t had it- run out and get it. I know they have been chunks at TJ’s and at Costco.
The sweet fig jam (I bet blackberry jam would be superb too!) and the tartness of the red-wine onions were all beautifully sandwiched with that melting cheese and that buttery puff pastry pocket.
These bite sized treasures will be snatched off the plate in all their chubby glory and gobbled right up!
Savory Turnover Bites,
with Cambozola cheese, fig jam and caramelized red wine onions, makes 12 turnovers
-1lb puff pastry sheets, thawed
-¼ lb Cambozola Cheese, cold
-¼ cup fig jam
-1 cup red wine caramelized onions
-1 egg, beaten (for the egg wash)
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) Lay the sheets of thawed puff pastry onto the counter.
3) Slice each sheet of puff pastry into thirds, and then each third into fourths. You will wind up with 12 squares from each sheet of puff pastry.
4) Spread every other square with 1 tsp of the fig jam, (avoiding the edges.)
5) Slice the cambozola into 12 little squares, and then place a piece of the cheese in the center of the fig jam.
6) Place a fork full of red wine caramelized onions over the cheese.
7) Place them on a sheet pan. Put the top sheet of puff pastry over the rest of the ingredients and lightly pinch the edges together.
8) Next, using the tongs of a fork, cinch the edge together well (like a pie crust), taking care to make sure the edges are really sealed. (If there are holes, then the filling will ooze out like some of mine.)
9) Take the beaten egg and lightly, lightly brush the egg wash over the turnovers.
10) Bake the turnovers for about 15 minutes, until the puff pastry is a deep golden color.
11) Serve hot and enjoy!