past

Pasta with Walnut Pesto

Walnut Pesto

I hope you all had a wonderful Valentines Day yesterday! I started my day extra early (4am) so that I could be ready for the KING5 local news crew at 5AM. I shot live segments of my Valentines crafts every hour throughout the morning news- it was so fun, and I was so happy to help people struggling for last minute ideas.

Walnut Pesto

We also went out for a, uh, family dinner. As in- not totally romantic, but we have a real date night planned for this weekend. Any of you in the same boat? I am pretty sure that babysitters are hard to come by on Valentines Day…

Walnut Pesto

After a huge steak dinner last night, I just wanted to eat something lighter tonight. The answer presented itself in this lovely vegetarian pasta dish of spaghetti tossed with walnut pesto. I also have been meaning to make more vegetarian dishes anyways, and this one was created after being inspired by a lovely family of four I know that happens to be vegetarian. (I will just call them the B’s!)

Walnut Pesto

This walnut pesto is incredibly simple while being full of flavor and texture. Plus you get lots of protein and heart healthy fat from the walnuts, so it will be super satisfying.

I am serving it up with a big green salad and can’t wait for dinner tonight!

Pasta with Walnut Pesto, serves 4
1lb spaghetti

Walnut Pesto
1/3 cup olive oil
1 ½ cups walnuts
½ cup freshly grated parmesan
2 cloves of garlic
2 Tbs lemon juice
kosher salt to taste

Finely grated Parmesan and toasted walnut pieces for garnish

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Add the spaghetti and cook until al dente according to manufacturers directions.

Add pesto ingredients to a food processor and pulse until all the ingredients are combined.

Walnut Pesto

Season with Kosher salt to taste.

Toss the walnut pesto with the pasta until the spaghetti is well coated.

Pile into bowl or a serving platter and garnish with finely grated parmesan and crumbled toasted walnuts.

Walnut Pesto

Enjoy!

1. David Head says:

My daughter and I are veggie,my other daughter and my wife are not.Its always a problem for dinner ,because we end up with different dishes.This one we all can eat.
    King Regards
    David Head

• Wonderful David! I also think this would be lovely with salmon or chicken if you are really craving the addition of animal protein!

Amazing! I’ve only made basil pesto so this is a real treat.

• I guess I just left the basil out Vicki! I hope that you enjoy this totally different pesto- I love it!

3. that pile of cheese makes me want to just face plant in a bowl of this pasta!

• um, yeah! What pile of cheese doesn’t make me feel that way!?

4. cassie says:

This looks absolutely stunning. I LOVE all of that Parmesan cheese on top. This is my kind of pasta dish!

5. Love this! A light, easy dish!

6. Amanda says:

So trying this as soon as humanly possible!!

7. John Busby says:

The Busby family is so all over this!

8. susan says:

this is one of those go to weeknight meals that we all need in our arsenal!

9. Suzanne says:

This looks amazing! Going in to my file of recipes to try soon.

10. Suzanne says:

And I love the polka dot pasta bowl!

11. Soupista says:

This sounds delicious, and a great way to incorporate those heart-healthy walnuts!

12. Congratulations on your segments! This pesto is the perfect way to through together an easy, tasty meal.

13. The 1st thing I see when I open this post? A mountain of cheese on warm pasta. Hello! I’m sold.

14. Perfect timing, I’ve been going crazy for walnuts lately and a pesto sounds in order.

Nuts, pasta and cheese. What on earth could be better!

16. I am always looking for a new and creative vegetarian dish! Great way to incorporate walnuts into the mix for added protein!

17. Margarita says:

Walnut pesto sounds delicious! This is something I must try as I have tons of walnuts sitting around.

18. David head says:

This looks mad ,what a brilliant product,can’t wait to have a go at making this

19. I love walnut pesto. Thanks for sharing your take, Heather!

20. katie busby says:

THANKS, Heather!!!

21. Susan Soto says:

…and just the perfect snowy mountaintop of parmesan

Looks delish – love the vegetarian selections!

22. Your pasta dish is so beautiful and I love even more how simple it is. I bet each ingredient shines–can’t wait to try it. :)

23. This is my favorite way to eat, especially as the weather gets warmer. I’ve experimented with lots of different pestos, but this simple walnut version is one of the best, I love your photos.

24. Alicia says:

This sounds super delicious, bu. I was wondering if I could substitute the walnuts for something else? I’m not much of a walnut fan.

• Of course Alicia- you could use any type of nut! I think Pistachios would be awesome (in fact, thank you for the post idea!!) and so would almonds…

25. Kelly Kurcina says:

Made this tonight, great recipe. Thank you!!!

• Thank you so much Kelly! Glad that you liked it!