risotto

Carrot risotto

Carrot Risotto

Everyone around my house has a one track mind right now. The Easter Bunny.

Not Easter. The Easter Bunny.

Carrot Risotto

I’ll be honest- I sort of forgot about the Easter Bunny and all of his many obligations. Uh, the Easter Bunny’s assistant, ahem, might be running behind on helping the Easter Bunny prepare some Easter Baskets.

Carrot Risotto

However, I, uh, I mean the assistant, did have some thoughts about what the Easter Bunny would like to eat.

Ok. Enough about him. I would like to eat this.

Carrot Risotto

I think it would be cute and funny and delicious and seasonal to serve this to my family on Easter too.

Carrot Risotto

Fresh baby carrots cooked into creamy risotto combine for a lovely Spring dish that is amazing all on it’s own, or beautifully compliments seafood or meat.

Carrot Risotto, serves 8
6 cups chicken stock
3 Tbs butter
2 Tb olive oil
1 yellow onion, small diced
2 cups grated carrots
1 ½ cups Arborio rice
1 cup white wine
1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
1 Tbs fresh mint, finely juienned
1 Tbs fresh chives, minced
Kosher salt

In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a simmer.

Meanwhile, melt the butter and the olive oil together in a large sauté pan.

Add the onion and sweat until tender over medium-low heat, about 5 minutes.

Add the Carrots to the onions, and sweat another 2 minutes.

Carrot Risotto

Add the Arborio rice and cook with the onions and carrots until the rice is translucent on the outside, and opaque in the center- about 3 minutes.

Carrot Risotto

Add the cup of white wine, and using a wooden spoon, stir and stir, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Carrot Risotto

This is where you begin to add the chicken stock, a cup at a time, to the risotto. (It works best if you have the two simmering pans right next to each other.)

Carrot Risotto

You just keep stirring and stirring. As the stock is cooked into the rice and it begins to dry out, you ladle more in.

Carrot Risotto

Just keep ladling stock in and stirring until the stock is gone and the rice is tender. This usually takes about 20 minutes.

Carrot Risotto

When the rice is tender, remove the risotto from the heat.

Stir in the cheese and then season to taste with Kosher salt.

Carrot Risotto

Add the mint and the chives and stir well.

Carrot Risotto

Dish up with a garnish of shredded parmesan and a sprinkle of herbs. Serve hot.

1. collette says:

This is a combination I have never thought of.. sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try it!

2. cassie says:

I am already a fan of this. Beautiful, Heather!

Sounds delicious and a very pretty color! Easter seems to have quietly crept up on us as well. Not until http://gingerelizabeth.com/ Easter candy announcement reminded me! You would love her shop. She reminds me of you.

4. The Easter bunny and I may need to share this because I want to eat it too. Looks great! I especially love the fine curls of Parmesan on the top.

5. I actually have lots of carrots to use up so this recipe is perfect, as I am a hardcore risotto lover. Thanks for an awesome recipe!

6. This is so BEAUTIFUL!! I think you out did yourself this time, Heather!! Love it!

7. Lucy Lean says:

We will be eating the Easter Bunnies carrot risotto this weekend – thanks for sharing and Hoppy Easter – sorry bad joke!

8. Krisitn says:

YUM! What a pretty and delicious combo … and you can burn off those Easter chocolate calories by stir-stir-stirring the risotto!

9. Heather, we’re totally on the same page as I made a similar carrot risotto for Fitness Magazine’s March issue! http://bit.ly/HKfuhJ

I think the Easter Bunny will be v. pleased!

• Ha! Very cool Aida- I will check it out right away!

10. Move over Easter Bunny – I’m swiping a bowl!! This looks fantastic and fresh, Heather. And as usual – beautifully shot.

11. susan says:

first of all, this is so utterly pretty! secondly, I am going to make this asap!! love this post, Heather!

I was thinking this morning about how much I need to get on those baskets. This risotto is such a pretty color + I bet amazing!

13. I definitely think ANY Easter Bunny would be thrilled to find this instead of just a carrot!!

14. Carrots and risotto are a fantastic combo. Beautiful!

15. Jacqueline says:

This looks like the PERFECT dish to serve at Easter! Love how it can be tailored to most dietary requirements. And the pictures are gorgeous!

16. christy says:

i have so many carrots from my csa box this week that i have been searching for great ideas. and this…is a great idea…love it! found you through tastespotting..

17. katie busby says:

Loved it, Heather!!

18. Jenn says:

Made this for Easter…such a hit! Everyone loved it! Thank you!!

19. Kristina Vanni says:

Yum! Great way to incorporate some color, flavor and nutrients! Looks delicious!

20. Easter crept up on me also this year. I didn’t even have a white dress for church! :) This risotto looks wonderful. Nice spring flavors!

21. emily says:

this is simply the best thing i’ve made in a LONG time… i added an extra cup of carrots and some chicken… doubled the mint, since it grows like weeds in my yard. SO SO SO Amazing! thanks for this!

• Thank you so much Emily- so happy to hear that you liked it so much!