scone

Coconut Scones

I think I have had about a million requests for salads lately. And I have the recipes all ready to go for you- I swear.

Coconut Scones

But then I made these Coconut Scones the other day. They were so freaking good that I truly felt it would be a criminal offense if I did not share them with you IMMEDIATLEY.

Coconut Scones

They are so, so moist, and stay that way for days. I slathered mine in raspberry jam and my eyes involuntarily rolled back in my head. That good.

Coconut Scones

Please, Please, someone tell me that their mom loves coconut and they will make these for her for Mothers Day? If your mom is a coconut lover (mine is) then she deserves these. She NEEDS them.

Coconut Scones

Speaking of Mothers Day, what are you doing on Sunday? I predict that I will squeeze 2 hours (please, please, please) of hard won quiet in between family gatherings. I would like to spend those in bed in solitary peace and quiet, while wearing sweatpants and watching Bravo. Ideally while eating these coconut scones. Is that so really much to ask? Realistically, I will settle for the dog not pooping on the carpet 10 times like last year.

Coconut Scones with Vanilla Glaze, yields 6 large scones
-2 cups flour
-½ cup sugar
-1tsp baking powder
-½ tsp baking soda
-½ tsp salt
-1 cup finely shredded unsweetened coconut
-8 Tbs butter, cold and cut into 1” pieces
-1/3 cup coconut cream (the thick stuff on the top of a can of coconut milk)
-1/3 cup cold cream
-1 egg

Flour for rolling out the dough

Vanilla Glaze:
-½ cup powdered sugar
-1 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
-2 Tbs cream

THIS IS WHAT THE COCONUT CREAM LOOKS LIKE. DON’T SHAKE THE CAN BEFORE YOU OPEN IT SO THAT THE CREAM STAYS IN A THICK LAYER ON TOP.

Coconut Scones
1)Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a sheet pan with parchment or a silpat.

2) In the bowl of a food processor, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and coconut. Pulse to combine.

Coconut Scones

3) Add the butter and pulse until you have a coarse crumb.

Coconut Scones

4) In a small bowl, combine the coconut cream, the cold cream and the egg and whisk it together.

Coconut Scones

5) Pour the cream mixture into the food processor and pulse until you have a wet dough.

Coconut Scones

6) Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and gently form a disc.

Coconut Scones

7) Slice the disc into 6 equal wedges and transfer them to the sheet pan.

Coconut Scones

8) Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes.

9) While you are letting the scones cool for a few minutes, whip up the vanilla glaze.

Coconut Scones

10) In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla and cream until you have a smooth glaze.

Coconut Scones

11) Drizzle the glaze over the still hot scones.

Coconut Scones

12) Enjoy them immediately or keep them in an airtight container for up to several days.

1. Amanda says:

These look amazing! y mouth is watering and now I’m REALLY hungry!! I’ve never cooked or baked with coconut cream, but I think it’s about time!

2. Yes, please! These sound absolutely fantastic! I love this idea!

3. christine says:

Love them!!! Happy Mother’s Day !

4. i have a bag of coconut and a can of coconut milk just waiting to be used – these are perfect! Thanks for sharing, these look amazing. Hope you have a wonderful Mothers Day!

• Oh good! thank you! Have a great Mothers Day too!

5. Amanda says:

These sound and look amazing!! Hope you have an amazing Mothers Day girl!

6. jenjenk says:

oh my…i’ve got a ton of coconut that I was trying to figure out what to do with!! this is PERFECT!!!!

7. Amy says:

Oh my goodness! These do sound pretty amazing. My husband would enjoy these on Father’s Day too. He’s a big coconut fan.

8. Maria says:

I LOVE these! Happy Mother’s Day to you!

How much do I want these for Mother’s Day!! Have a wonderful day my friend :)

10. Heather, my mom is a coconut freak! Thanks for sharing the recipe and Happy Mother’s Day!

11. I love scones and these look delicious! Great idea to incorporate the coconut flavor!

12. Kelley Taylor says:

Mmm, these sound divine. We’re having Mother’s Day at our farm – going to drape the picnic tables in white tablecloths and have a surf and turf lunch down by the stream- filet mignon baguette sandwiches and lobster pasta salad. Brownie sundaes for dessert. Of course, somehow I get stuck doing all the cooking! Maybe I’ll make these scones for myself next week as my mother’s day treat – I’ll have to have mine with clotted cream and strawberry jam, though.

13. Esi says:

My mom is not in America right now, but she does love coconut and if she were here, i’d bake her scones right now.

14. oh my gawd. these look fantastic. when i eat anything coconut, i always feel like i should be on a tropical vacation.

• thanks Allison- then these should take you to Tahiti :)

15. susan says:

wow, Heather, if I could eat these through my screen right now, I would. I can only imagine what the coconut cream does to the texture and taste of these. Yum! Happy Mom’s Day! xx

16. Michelle says:

Would sweetened coconut work?

• Yes- I am sure it would, and this recipe is not that sweet (only 1/2 cup to all that flour) s it will just be a sweeter version :)

17. Laura wilson says:

all I want for mothers day..one year.. Is NOT to have my allergeries going full force and to be able to sit outside with my kids, flown in from wherever they are and enjoy the day. But I am sneezing my brains out, and the boys are not home from college yet. :( . Happy Mothers Day , Heather!

• Oh no!!! My sister was suffering yesterday too. I am so sorry! But Happy Mothers Day :)

18. JenMarie says:

I swear I just drooled.
    This looks so amazing.

• They are to be honest! I made them again yesterday (yes- for myself on mothers day!) but my sisters in law and mother n law LOVED them too!

19. zosia says:

oh wow! the fourth picture from the top really makes them look moist!

i need to make these :)

thank you for the great recipe!

20. Rachel says:

These are pure happiness and delight!!! I was a most lucky consumer on Mother’s Day and I’m still thinking about how amazing these were (I took one “to-go”!) Thanks Heather!!

21. emmie says:

omg omg yummie looking ~!

22. lise says:

i made this recipe twice following the instructions but my dough is always too wet. how do you get your dough to form into a disk when mine is a wet blob??

• Lise- it will be very wet dough. Use a little extra flour to help your hands barely bring the dough together into the disc. It is meant to be very wet and sticky- I will add that to the notes so that people expect it- but they bake up nicely!

23. Michelle says:

These are incredible – I think my new favourite scone recipe. Love! Thank you!!

• Oh Michelle- that makes me so happy- those are some of my very favorites too!

24. Katy says:

I’m gonna make these but I’m confused about what you mean by “cold cream” in the scone part and “cream” in the glaze part. Can you specify? Are those the same thing? I’m not sure what I’m supposed to buy.

• I just meant “cold” as in the temperature of the cream. And by cream I mean heavy cream or whipping cream- either will work well.

25. ocia says:

Heather,
    Oh my! Made these for the first time for a friends get together the other day- not one left, They asked to take some home with them. These are the best things ever. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Absolutely wonderful.