I know. Soup two days in a row. It’s kind of all that is happening at our house right now. It’s easy and fast and wonderful. And I need easy right now.
She had a great recovery the first day of her tonsillectomy, but by Wednesday night, Coco took a turn for the worse, and I spent all of Thursday in the ER with her for post-op complications and dehydration. But the good news is she is home now, and is doing a little better. Please keep your fingers crossed we get through the weekend in a good way!
In the mean time, I have this lovely soup for you. Sweet Potato, Carrot and Cheddar Soup! I love the combination of the sweet potato and naturally sweet carrot mixed with savory and salty sharp cheddar. I like to top mine with easy sweet and sour pickled shallots for a little bit of a zippy bite in the midst of the creamy soup. I also L-O-V-E this with a grilled cheese sandwich!
This may be just the thing for anybody needing a cozy meal this weekend. Or if you are like me, you may just like to keep a big batch of this in the fridge so that you can heat some up for lunch or even a snack because it healthy and delicious!
Hope you have a great weekend. I have one more St Patrick’s day treat for you, but I will just post it Saturday morning since I didn’t have time to photograph it in the craziness of the last few days. So just check back if you are interested in a festive and darling treat along with a St Patrick’s Day roundup of recipes for Sunday’s fun ☺!
Recipe: Sweet Potato, Carrot and Cheddar Soup with Pickled Shallots
- -2 tablespoons butter
- -1 yellow onion, diced
- -3 cups carrots, diced
- -1 cup wine
- -4 cups sweet potato, peeled and diced
- -4 cups broth
- -½ cup cream
- -4 ounces sharp cheddar
- -kosher salt
- Pickled Shallots
- -2 shallots, thinly sliced
- -½ cup rice wine vinegar
- -2 Tablespoons sugar
- -1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. In a large pot, melt the butter and add the onions and carrot and sweet potato. Sweat the vegetables until soft about 5 minutes.
- 2. Add the wine and stir. Add the broth and put a lid on the pot and cook on low heat until soft, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Puree in a blender (in batches) until smooth.
- 4. Add back to the pot and gently reheat. Whisk in the cream and the cheddar cheese and season with kosher salt to taste.
- 5. To make the Pickled Shallots:
- In a small pan, heat up the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer. Add the shallots and remove from the heat. Let the shallots sit in the brine for about 15 minutes.
- 6. Dish up the soup and top with the pickled shallots.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8