I really wanted to post these earlier this week, but things have just been TOO crazy with little Coco-bean. But I couldn’t resist sharing these with you.
They were the brain child of reader Kristin, who thought to transform these Candy Cane Sugar Cookie bars into green minty treats for St. Patrick’s day using green starlight mints. I thought it was such a great idea, that I decided to re-invent them too- but just as plain old Vanilla Cookie Bars.
However, it turns out plain old Vanilla cookies are pretty dang great.
I tinted the frosting green and added green sprinkles because I just had to indulge myself and the kids for St. Patty’s Day.
In case you are doing something fun, or even just having dinner with the family, this would be a fun dessert for Sunday’s festivities!
Other recipes for your St Patrick’s Day Fun:
The Guinness Series:
The Green Series:
Recipe: Vanilla Cookie Bars
Summary: makes 24 bars
- -1 cup butter
- -½ teaspoon salt
- -¾ cup powdered sugar
- -2 egg yolks
- -2 1/4 cups flour
- Vanilla Frosting:
- -½ cup butter
- -3 cups powdered sugar
- -1/3 cup milk
- -2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- -2 drops food coloring (optional)
- -sprinkles (optional
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×13 pan with parchment paper.
- 2. In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter, salt and sugar. Add the yolks and mix well. Add the flour and mix until you have a uniform dough.
- 3. Press the dough evenly across the bottom of the pan.
- 4. Bake the dough for 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove and let cool.
- 5. While the cookies are cooling, make the frosting:
- 6. Combine all of the frosting ingredients in the bowl of a standing mixer and whip until fluffy and light green (or whatever color you desire.)
- 7. Transfer all of the frosting to the cooled sugar cookie dough and spread evenly.
- 8. Immediately sprinkle with the candy sprinkles and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- 9. Slice into bars and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 12 minute(s)