OK. Thanksgiving is heavy on my brain right now. Monday was all about the sinfully delicious Chocolate Pumpkin Pie. After the brief intermission where you met my new little fur ball yesterday, now I am afraid it is going to be all Thanksgiving all the time here for a while!
In our family we are salad eaters. (I mean the family I was born into). I finally realized this later in life when I would make twice as much salad as anyone eats at every social event- except for when my family comes- than there is never enough. My mom must have done something right, because I have a life long love affair with salads, and I get obsessed with what a blank canvas they can be for delicious seasonal flavors.
Without a doubt we always have at least 2 salads on the Thanksgiving buffet. This is an idea for a salad you could either have on Thanksgiving, or honestly as an amazing “dinner salad” (that means salad for dinner) any night.
It is my favorite shredded curly kale as a base, with wonderful buttery roasted sugar pumpkin, a little creamy goat cheese, sour cranberries, sweet candied pecans and a shallot vinaigrette. It is do perfect bit by bite, and I hope you enjoy it!
Recipe: Kale Salad with Roasted Pumpkin, Cranberries and Goat Cheese
- 8 cups shredded curly kale
- 2 cups roasted pumpkin, cut into bite sized pieces,
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup candied pecans, rough chopped
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Shallot Vinaigrette
- 1 shallot thinly minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- On a platter, Pile the curly kale at the base, and then sprinkle the pumpkin, goat cheese, pecans and cranberries over the top of the kale.
- In a small bowl, combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients and whisk them together.
- Pour over the salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6