I am trying to get into the Valentines Day spirit here. First there was this big fat cake on Monday. Tuesday I spent collecting stickers and doilies and ribbons for Pia’s school “Valentines Mailbox” (remember those?!) And now here are these totally indulgent Valentines Day-ish cupcakes.
Super moist chocolate cupcakes topped with Strawberry cream cheese frosting and then the ultimate: A chocolate dipped strawberry. These have Valentines Day written all over them, right?
I guess if I had used a little more fore-site, I may have drizzles them with white chocolate too- that would be very pretty- but sprinkles get the job done too with just a little added glitz!
I have a few more Valentinesy sweets up my sleeve and then next week I am going to help out those of you who are planning to stay in and cook dinner next Friday. In the meantime, we are still swamped with Seahawks Fever around here. We got a free pass to take the kids out of school tomorrow to go to the big Superbowl Parade downtown. Pete said that he still remembers going to the Sonics Parade when he was 7 (that’s the last time Seattle had a championship!) and that the kids will remember this forever. SO- braving a quarter million people it is! (and it will be freezing). I think I have a few details to work out….
Recipe: Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cupcakes
Makes 16 cupcakes
- Chocolate Cake
- ½ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups AP flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 strawberries, minced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- pinch kosher salt
- 16 strawberries. Rinsed and patted dry
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- In a small heatproof bowl, whisk the boiling water and the cocoa powder together until smooth and then set it aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Fill the cupcake tins with paper liners.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, whip together the butter and the sugar. When it’s completely combined, add the eggs and whip until fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the cooled liquid chocolate to the batter and then add the dry ingredients and whip together until you have a smooth batter.
- Evenly distribute the batter among the cupcake liners, filling them about 2/3rds full.
- Bake the cupcake sat 350 degrees about 15-17 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and set out to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting:
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, whip together the minced strawberries, soft cream cheese, soft butter, powdered sugar and a pinch of salt. Whip until the frosting is light and fluffy and the strawberries are well dispersed throughout the frosting and have tinted it pale pink.
- Generously frost the cupcakes (I used a pastry bag and a large star tip, but you could just use a butter knife too.)
- Melt the 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate in a small heatproof bowl in the microwave until smooth.
- Dip the clean, dry strawberries in the melted chocolate, shake of the excess and gently place each strawberry on the top of one of the cupcakes. Add a few sprinkles to the top of the cupcake and strawberry if desired.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)