I hope you all had a great weekend, mine was pretty good…
I say pretty good because it was only tainted by Friday night. Pete and I cancelled all of our plans because we were so exhausted. All we wanted to do was crawl into bed and watch a movie. I dropped off Wilbur on the end of our bed while I got the girls in bed and then when I went to get into bed, I pulled the duvet up and found that it was sopping wet. With dog pee.
I lose my temper like once a year- but I went OFF THE RAILS.
Anyways, instead of snuggling up, we slept on a bare mattress with an old quilt and then I did like 6 hours of laundry the next day. Oh Wilbur….
But other than the compulsive laundry, Saturday was pretty relaxed and then we went to a really fun surprise 40th birthday on Saturday night.
Sunday the kids went to my moms to hang out for the day and Pete had to work so I was all by myself for most of the day which was AMAZING!! I feel like I am never alone in my house! I took a long nap, watched tv in my bathrobe and baked a cake. This delicious Dark Chocolate, Guinness and Sweet Potato Bundt Cake.
Dark Chocolate cake, so moist with sweet potato and Guinness beer which add amazing texture and flavor to each bite of this thick wonderful cake. Pete and I tucked into big slices with tea on Sunday afternoon before heading to my moms house for dinner and Oscars fun, and I am looking forward to more of it (maybe for breakfast!?) And there is nothing like chocolate to help you forget about your dog peeing in your bed….
Recipe: Chocolate Guinness Sweet Potato Cake
- For the Cake:
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups sweet potato puree
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ cups dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup Guinness
- For the Glaze:
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons Guinness
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a bundt cake pan with cooking spray.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs and the sweet potato puree and mix together until well combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Then add it to the mixer and combine partially.
- Add the Guinness and beat until you have a thick, smooth batter.
- Add the batter to the prepared cake pan and using a spatula, smooth it out on top.
- Bake the cake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove the cake and set aside to cool.
- When the cake has cooled most of the way, turn the cake out onto a cake plate.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar, Guinness and a small pinch of salt until the glaze is smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cake. Slice and serve.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12