Coming up on the weekend, is it possible that you may have friends over and want to dish up a few lovely bites to them? Or I suppose it’s also possible you won’t, and that you might want to serve up a lovely bite for your hubby/boyfriend/wife/girlfriend/super-sophisticated child?
Or maybe you just want to make yourself something great?
Lots of times on Friday or Saturday, my favorite thing to do is to make appetizers and open a bottle of wine for Pete and I. We make the kids “mocktails” and we all snack on an assortment of small bites and cured meats and cheeses. Sometimes I make enough delicious bites that I don’t even make dinner. Especially if I open a second bottle of wine… (don’t I sound like a lush this lately!?)
This appetizer is a lovely and mild blend of crispy toasted baguette, bright lemony whipped ricotta and a chunky artichoke pesto. It is a perfect combination of subtle flavor and wonderful texture and it was very popular on the last “appetizer night.” Give the recipe a whirl and let me know what you think!
Recipe: Artichoke Pesto and Lemon Ricotta Crostini
- Artichoke Pesto:
- 3 cloves garlic
- zest and juice of two lemons
- Frozen Artichoke hearts (thawed)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt to taste
- Lemon Ricotta:
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Toasted baguette slices with olive oil
- Fresh parsley to garnish
- In the bowl of a food processor combine the garlic and lemon zest. Pulse until it is minced.
- Add the artichoke hearts and a generous sprinkle of salt, then pulse a few times, then switch on and drizzle the olive oil in. It should still be chunky and thick. Taste for salt and set aside.
- In a small bowl add the ricotta, lemon zest and lemon juice and using a fork whip it all together. Season to taste with kosher salt and a generous amount of black pepper.
- Spread a thick serving of the ricotta over a toasted slice of baguette and then top woth a generous amount of the artichoke pesto. Garnish with fresh parsley and another crack of fresh black pepper.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12