Roasted Tomato Caprese Salad
This is a spin on the very traditional Caprese salad. While still simple in terms of ingredients, there are some added complexities in flavor because the Caprese Salad is made with roasted tomatoes, and I have added a fresh and delicious basil puree. The beautiful basil puree, the sweet roasted tomatoes and the creamy cheese is all drizzled with a hot garlic-chili oil.
This may make you reconsider the “Caprese Salad” all together…
Roasted Tomato Caprese Salad, serves 4 as a starter
-4 medium tomatoes still on the vine
-3 Tbs Olive Oil
-2 garlic cloves
-2 pinches red pepper flakes
-2 pinches kosher salt
-6 oz fresh mozzarella (1 large ball)
-1 oz fresh basil leaves
-1/4 cup olive oil
-pinch of salt
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2) In a small baking dish, place the tomatoes.
3) Drizzle the 3 Tbs of Olive Oil over the tomatoes and add the garlic cloves and the chili flakes and the 2 pinches of salt.
4) Roast the tomatoes for about 15-20 minutes until the skin on the tomatoes is splitting and there is some golden color to the roasted tomatoes.
5) While the tomatoes are roasting, bring a small pot of water to a boil and prepare a bowl of ice water.
6) Put the basil in the boiling water for about 10 seconds and then plunge it into the ice water.
7) Drain the basil and add it to a blender with the remaining 1/3 cup of oil and a pinch of salt.
8) Puree the basil and oil on high until you have a smooth puree.
9) Place several spoonfuls of the basil puree onto a large plate, (there will be some puree left over.)
10) Break open the fresh mozzarella ball and place it on top of the basil puree.
11) When you remove the tomatoes, hot from the oven, gently place the tomatoes on top of the mozzarella. Then pour the oil in the bottom of the pan over the tomatoes and cheese.
12) Serve while the tomatoes are hot and the cheese will be melting and stringy.
Leave a Comment
I have been obsessed with roasted tomatoes lately, I love this!
I can imagine how good dipping a piece of hard crusted bread in the leftover juices will be!
Talk about great minds think alike I just posted my own twist on the Caprese sald today! Crazy! This looks soooooo good!!
This looks so professional. I absolutely love this!
Love the roasted tomato idea for this classic salad!
What a wonderfully visual recipe.
Ilove tomatoes will be making this dish it looks delicious.
Wow, the vine and all. You so know how to make beautiful food, Heather!
kathy- thank you! you are so sweet to me!