This pasta is outrageously delicious.
The chewy pasta, sprinkled with crispy, salty bacon, browned spicy jalapenos, sweet and spicy pickled red onions and a golden fried egg on top. When you break the egg open and the yolk oozes into the pasta, an amazing creamy element is added to the pasta dish.
The other beauty is how wonderfully easy this is to make. It was born out of leftovers! I had a few slices of bacon left in the fridge, a jalapeno bordering on shriveled and a bunch of sweet and spicy pickled red onions left over from when we had carnitas last week.
Obviously, we always have pasta and we always have eggs.
They all blended together beautifully, and you wind up with a little bit of sweet, sour, spicy and salty, which to me, is nothing short of glorious!
If you want a delicious vegetarian meal, simply omit the bacon for a fabulous meatless Monday pasta dish!
Pasta with Bacon, Jalapenos, Sweet and Spicy Pickled Onions and a Fried Egg, serves 2
-½ lb Vermicelli
-2 garlic cloves, finely minced or put through a garlic press
-2 Tbs olive oil
-Kosher salt and Black pepper to taste
-3 strips bacon
-1 jalapeno, thinly sliced into rounds
-4 Tbs sweet and spicy pickled red onions
-2 tsp vegetable oil
1) Make sure that you have your pickled red onions ready.
2) Bring a large boil of salted water to a boil.
3) Cook the vermicelli to al dente according to manufacturers directions.
4) While the pasta is cooking, fry the bacon until crispy and set aside.
5) To the hot bacon fat, add the jalapeno slices and fry lightly until golden and aromatic, about 2 minutes- set aside with the bacon.
6) After the pasta is drained, toss with the olive oil and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
7) Add the oil to a clean pan, and when it is hot, add the eggs to the pan. Cook them on low so they don’t burn. You want to cook them so the white sets, but the yolk is still runny.
8) While the egg is cooking, divide the pasta between two plates.
9) Divide the pickled red onions and fried jalapeno’s over the pasta.
10) Then crumble the bacon over the pasta.
11) Top each pasta dish with the hot fried egg and a little black pepper.
12) Crack open the yolk and let it run into the pasta.