I know I have previously spoken of my love for beets. And also of my love for that massively overplayed beet/goat cheese/arugula standard salad on the menu of every restaurant from Seattle to NYC.
I know it’s not original, but It sure is good.
I am obsessed with spinning that combo in new ways, (like turning it into a pasta!) and today that twist lands it on a pizza!
Crispy crust and creamy goat cheese lay the foundation for tender, sweet beets and peppery arugula in this classic and delicious combination that also happens to be so stunning that it could easily kick off a dinner party to oohs and aahhs!
This is another lovely and satisfying vegetarian dish for those of you refraining from meat right now or having a meatless Monday!
*I picked this dough up at Trader Joes, but by all means grab some up at your local pizzeria or make your own.
Beet, arugula and goat cheese Pizza, serves 6
-1 ball pizza dough
-¼ cup semolina
-1 large red beet, trimmed
-1 large yellow beet, trimmed
-5 oz soft goat cheese
-2 cups fresh arugula
-Red wine vinegar
1) Boil the beets in salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Let cool and peel the beets and large dice them.
2) Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. If you have a pizza atone, put it on the bottom of the oven. Prepare a sheet pan with a brushing of olive oil.
3) Sprinkle the semolina on the counter top, and put the dough down on top of the semolina.
4) Use the semolina to keep the dough from sticking, and roll it out until it is very thin and round.
5) Transfer the pizza dough to the oiled sheet pan. Brush the pizza dough with a thin layer of olive oil.
6) Place the pizza dough on the sheet pan in the oven. I lay the sheet pan on the pizza stone.
7) I par-bake the pizza crust for about 5-7 minutes until golden and crispy.
8) Remove the pizza from the oven and crumble the goat cheese over the top of the pizza. Evenly spread the beets over the top.
9) Drizzle it with olive oil and bake it in the oven another 3 minutes until the goat cheese is soft.
10) Meanwhile, in a small bowl, gently mix together the arugula, a drizzle of olive oil and a little splash of red wine vinegar. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
11) When the pizza comes out, immediately top it with the arugula salad. Sprinkle lightly with kosher salt.
12) Slice and serve!Print Recipe
Leave a Comment
Beets are so gorgeous…I so wish that I liked them! I’d totally try ’em on pizza though 😉
oh no! Maybe this would convert you!
Great tip to pre bake the dough! This looks really good.
This is what I want to eat right now
What a fantastic combination. I love arugula and goat cheese together. The beets add beautiful color too. I love this!
LOVE the idea of this pizza! Beets are a favorite 🙂
Don’t you just LOVE Trader Joe’s pizza dough!? I just posted a pizza using it too…how funny! Now I’m out though and suffering. This pizza looks beautiful and delicious Heather!
Love the flavors! Such a pretty pizza too!
love the step by step on this one, Heather! Looks Delish!
I love your take on using these combination of ingredients in a pizza. So fresh and different than your average pie!
One of my favorite salads, now in pizza form!
Ummmmmm, sounds amazing!
Wouldn’t it be cool to make these individual size or bite size? Then the pizza could BE the salad course. I’d also like to add some chopped, toasted hazelnuts or walnuts to this for some extra crunch.
I made this tonight, just finished eating actually…I don’t think think could be anymore perfect, it was delicious! i will definitely make this again!