Hello Beautiful Blueberries. Plentiful in the grocery stores, and calling my name, I just couldn’t resist falling off the healthy program wagon I have been on, and diving head first into a bubbling blueberry crostata. Wouldn’t you if this was staring back at you from the kitchen counter?
This is my favorite kind of recipe. Easy.
With no worries about if it looks right, or if you followed all of the instructions. Free formed and “rustic,” but perfect at the same time.
Blueberry Crostata serves 8
-18 oz blueberries
-1 heaping Tb flour
-1 heaping Tbs sugar
-½ tsp cinnamon
-2 Tbs butter
-1 recipe pie crust (plus ½ tsp nutmeg), chilled
-2 tsp sugar
1) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a sheet pan with a silpat or a sheet of parchment paper.
2) Prepare one batch of Best Pie Crust, adding ½ tsp of nutmeg to the dough at the same time as the flour.
3) When you pull the dough disc from the refrigerator, place it between two sheets of wax paper. Roll it out into a large oval, about ¼” thick.
4) Peel the wax paper off one side of the dough. Gently lay it down on the prepared sheet pan and then peel off the other sheet of wax paper.
5) In a medium bowl, combine the blueberries, flour, sugar and cinnamon.
6) Pour the fruit and dry ingredients into the center of the dough oval.
7) Dot the top of the fruit with the butter
8) Gently pull the sides of the dough up and around the fruit to hold it all in.
and sprinkle the folded over edges of the dough with the 2 tsp of sugar.
9) Bake the crostata at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden and the fruit is bubbling.
10) Slice into wedges and serve hot or at room temperature.Print Recipe
Leave a Comment
It so beautiful! I love the copious amounts of berries 🙂
This looks mighty pretty! Love the look of that filling 🙂
Thank you Katrina!
Perfect for summer with any fruit – or mixture there of – I’m thinking raspberry/rhubarb maybe with lots of thick creamy custard will keep you posted how I get on!
yes, yes, yes. I love the crostata- it is just a blank canvas!
This looks absolutely scrumptious!
OMG ur killing me. I’m still on the juice fast!!!
WHAAAAAATTTTTTT!!!!?????? How long have you been on that?! Have you dissapeared?
This looks amazing! Crostata is one of my favorites!
I had my tonsils out …last week … been on a liquid diet since and will be for awhile … THIS LOOKS SO DELICIOUS!! Yes, I’m STARVING for some real food with substance.
OMG!! How are you feeling? I hope everything went really well. I prescribe lots and lots of ice cream 🙂
just this past weekend, I was thinking of testing a gluten free crostata recipe. you have reminded me to put it on the top of the list! this looks so great, Heather. Those blueberrys are popping off the screen!!
What a beautiful rustic dessert!
I think I need to make a run to the store for a giant flat of blueberries….
Heather I’m on my 13th day now not disappeared yet! I’m gonna weigh in on saturday so I’ll let u know how much I’ve lost though it doesn’t look like muuuuch to me 🙁 I hope it’s worth it
Oh my gosh Nene! that is just crazy! I can’t believe that you went that long. You must have lost weight- at a minimum you will have totally reset your body, and not have a an ounce of bloat, huh? Or now switch to just raw fruits and vegetables for a few days, Maybe a little handful of raw cashews to start easing your body off the juice. Wow girl- you have will power.
Would frozen blueberries work?
yes! any frozen fruit would work.
Wow, super easy, but amazing results! I love this!
love the rustic look of the crostata…I’ll bet that this would be fantastic with huckleberries, which i don’t have access to. 🙁