Ok. This year I am really making a pledge to take care of myself. Not some paltry “oh, I will work out every day” nonsense that I can be sure not fulfill, but truly a heart felt intention to feel better.
2012 was so intensely busy and in many ways truly exhausting, and I feel like I spent the whole year in a perpetual state of eyeball burning tired (you know what I mean?). In 2013 I want to get more sleep, uh, or at least continuous sleep! (so if you all could talk to my kids about their sleep habits, that would be great) choose more salads and soups over cookies and cakes (ha ha, we’ll see about that!) and take a few more moments to myself (as ALL moms of young children would like).
But my biggest hope for 2013 is to learn to love exercise again. It has been years since I regularly exercised, and I for once am not even thinking about it for vanities sake, but for how it will make my body feel. It seems like this will be the most effective way to gain energy and reduce stress in the crazy year to come. What’s your favorite exercise? Any tips on getting back into the game? I have a feeling it’s not going to be pretty!
What is your New Year resolution this year?
In celebration and support of the many, many people who are trying to improve their health in the New Year, this January I am going to be posting really delicious new dishes that are as healthy and fresh as they are tasty. I promise I won’t be posting cookies by next week per usual! I actually prepared for this 🙂
Lets start with this CRAZY recipe for Kale Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken. It was so good on it’s own, but then I stuffed in a wrap and it became even better.
You might be grimacing at the thought of all that roughage. I’m not really sure how you feel about kale? But lets get something straight: I loathe Kale. Or at least that is what I thought. I have tried and tried to enjoy “IT” to no avail. But now I think I was just doing it wrong. Cause this was AMAZING!!!!
I would enjoy this Kale Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken on a normal night, or throw it together in a lavash bread wrap or large tortilla for lunch. I can’t tell you how good this is- please, please try it!
By the way- please let me know if you have any healthy requests and also please share your kale recipes- I had some great suggestions on facebook, and now I am ready to start expanding my Kale repertoire!
In a bowl, mix together the half of a coddled egg, minced garlic, mustard, honey, lemon juice and olive oil. Whisk until you have formed a dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add the kale, chicken and cherry tomatoes and toss to coat with the dressing and ¼ cup of the shredded parmesan.
Spread out the two lavash flatbreads. Evenly distribute the salad over the two wraps and sprinkle each with ¼ cup of parmesan.
Roll up the wraps and slice in half. Eat immediately
Recipe: Kale Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken Wrap
- -8 ounces grilled chicken, thinly sliced
- -6 cups curly kale, cut into bite sized pieces
- -1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- -3/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- -½ coddled egg (cooked about 1 minute)
- -1 clove garlic, minced
- -1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- -1 teaspoon honey or agave
- -1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
- -1/8 cup olive oil
- -Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- -2 Lavash flat breads or two large tortillas
- 1. In a bowl, mix together the half of a coddled egg, minced garlic, mustard, honey, lemon juice and olive oil. Whisk until you have formed a dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 2. Add the kale, chicken and cherry tomatoes and toss to coat with the dressing and ¼ cup of the shredded parmesan.
- 3. Spread out the two lavash flatbreads. Evenly distribute the salad over the two wraps and sprinkle each with ¼ cup of parmesan.
- 4. Roll up the wraps and slice in half. Eat immediately
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2