I had a great time on Friday doing a book event with a lovely group of ladies, and then sold out of books at an awesome Costco signing on Saturday with another event in the evening.
Then came the very best part.
My parents took the kids on Saturday night and Pete and I were alone. Alone in our house. For the first time in 5 and a half years. Is that crazy or what?
And then guess what time I went to sleep? 9:30. And I got up at 6:30. So much for sleeping in! But it was nice not to be awakened 3 times a night like usual, most of which conclude with me sleeping on a trundle bed. Coco is suffering from unfortunate night terrors (any suggestions anyone??) and I feel like we are getting less sleep than we were when they were little babies. So trust me, 9 hours of uninterrupted sleep was a tremendous kindness.
Today was my moms Birthday Brunch at our house and then a long afternoon of hanging out with the kids and working in my massively overgrown garden. This evening friends came for dinner and I made these clams.
Fresh Cilantro, spicy jalapeno add delicious flavor and brightness to a flavorful broth made with butter, onion, sweet corn and Pacifico beer. Dig into these amazing clams with a spoon and some toasted bread and prepare to enjoy!!
To make these Beer Steamed Clams, this is what you do:
Zest a lime and set aside. In a large bowl, place the cilantro, jalapeno’s and lime slices.
In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sweat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the corn and lime zest, sprinkle with kosher salt and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes more. Add the beer and cook until simmering, 3 minutes more. Add the clams and cover the pan.
Steam the clams until they are just opened. And pour the contents of the pan into the bowl with the fresh cilantro, jalapeno and lime and serve immediately.
Recipe: Mexican Beer Steamed Clams
- -1 cup fresh cilantro
- -2 fresh jalapeno’s thinly sliced
- -1 lime zested and sliced
- -3 tablespoons olive oil
- -1 large yellow onion, small diced
- -2 cobs corn kernels, cut from the cob
- -2 pounds fresh clams
- -1 12 ounce gluten free beer
1. In a large bowl, place the cilantro, jalapeno’s and lime slices
2. In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sweat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the corn, sprinkle with kosher salt and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes more.
3. Add the beer and cook until simmering, 3 minutes more. Add the clams and cover the pan.
Preparation time: 8 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4