Have I ever really expressed to you how into tea I am? Since I rarely drink coffee anymore, I had to refocus my fixation (read: addiction) and it has landed solidly on tea.
I made some simple syrup for my tea last week and then wondered- would if I put the TEA in the SYRUP?! Well, it was an awesome idea.
And then when I went to make a cocktail that I need simple syrup for- the tea syrup was staring at me begging to be used.
I love the slightly floral, butter flavor of the tea with the sweet syrup and then it is blended with not too sweet, tart juices pomegranate and black currant (if you can’t find black currant juice just use all pomegranate or sub in blackberry or cranberry juice for the currant). The vodka makes it a real cocktail and the prosecco makes it festive and light- a perfect Holiday cocktail for you!
- 6 ounces Vodka
- 6 ounces Pomegranate Juice
- 6 ounces Black Currant Juice
- 3 tablespoons simple syrup
- Chilled Prosecco
- Black Tea Simple Syrup, makes 1 cup of simple syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 English Breakfast Tea Bags
- 1 cup sugar
- (optional brown sugar rim)
- 1 wedge lemon
- brown sugar for the rim
- In a small sauce pan, combine the water, tea bags and sugar. Simmer for about 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the liquid is golden brown with the tea. Transfer the simple syrup to a heat proof jar and chill until ready to use (I leave the tea bags in until the solution is cooled.)
- If you want the sugar rim, swipe a lemon wedge around the top of the champagne glass and then immediately press the glass into the sugar. Let the sugar rim dry.
- Add a few ice cubes to each glass and in a cocktail shaker full of ice add the vodka, juices and simple syrup. Shake and pour over the ice in 4 glasses and then top with chilled prosecco. Serve immediately.