I think today is national Kale day, or “they” are trying to make it national kale day or something like that? Whatever. I’m such a sell out. I have totally jumped on the “kale bandwagon”. Wait- is there such a thing as a bandwagon for kale? I guess so.
And for all of you kale haters, let me just remind you (um, like for the 10th time) that I used to hate kale. (Until I discovered it raw that is) Now I am a believer.
A couple of weeks ago when I was in NY with Pete and we went out to lunch at a Italian restaurant in the meatpacking district called Barbuto, I ordered one of the best kale salads ever. I don’t remember what it was called, but this is my version of the salad. I have made it four times in the 10 days we have been back. To make anything 4 times over in this household, it is a favorite.
What makes these simple ingredients come together into something pretty fantastic is actually the texture of how each ingredient is treated. The kale is so finely chopped, that I would call it “shaved”. Tiny little ribbons of kale make for delicate mouthfuls. Then there are the slivered almonds, and the finely minced shallots. And finely the VERY finely shredded pecorino. I used a rasp to get this texture, but have also made this with the almost powdered version of grated pecorino I got from the deli. Either way, it’s really delicious and couldn’t be more easy, fast or healthy (just a bonus!)
To make this kale, lemon, almond and pecorino salad, this is what you do:
Finely shave the kale, avoiding the stems and add to a large bowl along with the slivered almonds.
In a small bowl, combine the minced shallots and the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
Toss the kale and almonds with the dressing, coating all of the kale. Then add the cheese and gently toss to evenly distribute the kale.
Serve in the bowl, or turn out onto a serving platter.
Recipe: Kale Salad with Lemon, Almonds and Pecorino
- 1 large bunch curly kale (I have found that the organic varieties are more “frilly”)
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup finely shredded pecorino cheese (or 1/3 cup “powder” grated pecorino.)
- Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Finely shave the kale, avoiding the stems and add to a large bowl along with the slivered almonds.
- In a small bowl, combine the minced shallots and the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the kale and almonds with the dressing, coating all of the kale. Then add the cheese and gently toss to evenly distribute the kale.
- Serve in the bowl, or turn out onto a serving platter.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2