I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! I had the best time. It was a weekend of family and dear friends.
On Saturday we took a ferry boat to Bainbridge Island, which is about a 30 minute ferry ride across the sound. Obviously the kids loved every second of that. And then we made our way over to our friends Ramey and Brett’s for dinner with their family. Ramey is my oldest friend. (Not like she is 100 years old, but like we have been friends since we were 3!) It was so incredibly nice to see them and catch up and they were the hosts with the most- they totally made a “free from” meal (free from dairy, egg and gluten and garlic and sugar) and it was delicious and it was so nice of them to accommodate us like that.
Then on Sunday I got to spend time with one of my very dearest friends Missy (and we go back over 20 years) and her beautiful family. It was a really, really nice weekend. We capped it off with Pizza and Game of Thrones because that’s what Sundays are all about lately!
I wanted to share this salad because it is “Meatless Monday” and because I had a lot of requests for this salad after I instagramed it from brunch on Mothers Day. It is the loveliest, most simple and clean salad full of subtle, naturally sweet flavors and crisp beautiful spring vegetables. The sesame dressing is the perfect light and delicious compliment without overpowering anything.
This would be absolutely wonderful with a piece of seared salmon- in fact, maybe that is dinner tomorrow…
Recipe: Avocado, Asparagus, Pea and Radish Sesame Salad
- half a pound of fresh asparagus spears
- 1 ½ cups green peas, hulled
- 1 whole ripe but firm avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch radishes (I used breakfast radishes)
- 1 shallot, minced finely
- 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- kosher salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Slice each asparagus spear on the bias into 4ths and set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the asparagus and cook for 1-2 minutes until just tender. Use a slotted spoon or spider and pull the asparagus out and dump into a strainer. Rinse with cold water and drain. Set aside.
- Dump the peas in and boil for 1 minute and then drain, rinse and drain again. Set aside.
- Thinly slice the radishes and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the shallots, rice wine vinegar, honey and sesame oil. Season to taste with kosher salt. Add the asparagus, peas and radishes and toss together. Season again with kosher salt and toss in the sesame seeds.
- On the serving platter or shallow bowl, line the edges of the bowl with the thinly sliced avocado. Sprinkle them with kosher salt.
- Pour the salad over the avocado slices and garnish with fresh chives or chive blossoms if you have them.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8